• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Feeling Hopeless

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EllaBlue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

Hello, I am feeling hopeless. I am living in an elderly/disabled unit where there has been nothing but huge odor issues due to the pets in this building. The dog was finally removed. He defecated and urinated in the apartment downstairs from me for a good 2-3 years. Before I moved in, other neighbors here knew about it, but the lady that lived in this building previously had no sense of smell and the other lady was dying....

Anyway, I could not take it. It adversely affects my asthma and now I have a sinus infection that after 4 rounds of antibiotics will not heal.

After the lady directly below me passed a woman and husband moved in with two cats. We are only allowed one, but management let them stay. The STENCH in this building has continued and is even worse now.

In short, there are a whole mess of people, both tenants from other units that cover their face when they walk in here, OR will not visit, my homemaker, my family and friends that all gag on the smell. BUT not ONE person from management will admit that this building smells.

When it comes to something like this, do you have any suggestions for me.
I realize I have left out a few things because it would take forever to tell you everything. I am so discouraged, sick to my stomach, always with headaches and I cannot get any help.

IF you know what my next step will be please, I appreciate it. The manager and her boss, INSIST that they cannot smell anything pungent. Although the maintenance man told another tenant here that at the office, they all DO certainly know about the smell and how bad this is. I cannot afford to move.

I was hoping for a transfer to another building but sadly the pet problems here seem to be pretty widespread from what I understand. It is my guess that the litter box downstairs is not only RARELY changed but, that these cats are peeing all over the place. I often times see the tenants throw out urine soaked items into our shared garbage bins. :mad:

Again thank you!!
EllaBlue

FarmerJ

Call your city /county health dept or building inspections desk and ask them to send some one out to verify the odor problem !

EllaBlue

Thanks Farmer. I did find out over the weekend that one of the cats is in kidney failure and appears to be pee'ing outside the litterbox. I thought by talking to the gal maybe I could find something out on my own.

Please don't think I want any person to lose their beloved pet. I have offered to try and see if I can get them a vet voucher and some donated litter as they are very poor. Meanwhile I did tell her that I just could no longer take this smell and that they had to mop where the cat pee's (hardwood floors). I was nice...HOPING maybe I could get her to cooperate until I counsil with my attorney this week. JUST in case if comes to that.

This weekend the smell got SO bad that I once again was choking and just feeling sick. By being in her house for all of less than 10 min. my nose filled right up, stuffy as all heck.

Thanks SO much.
It would make sense to me that a manager would not want their property ruined? What happened to that? I guess being really clean, quiet, great paying and all that matters not today. I dunno...:confused::confused:

I will keep you all posted.

Proseguru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

I cannot afford to move.

Again thank you!!
EllaBlue
How is moving unaffordable? I'd rather live in the streets than in urine-town.

Call the local health departments ... but you should look for new housing. You don't know if you can find a better, less expensive place unless you look.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">