• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

All use of Company Vehicle Fringe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmclaug9

I reside in Georgia, however my company is North Carolina and the office is in Texas. (Masco corp.)

Starting in January, at year end all mileage up to 45miles per commute to and from the job site is going to be considered personal. Last couple of years it was 20 miles. Our office is our home and we are required to put in a hour everyday doing reports ect. off the job site. I put on over 30,000 miles yearly; this would add over 7,000 to my adjusted gross income next year. How can I still deduct this as unpaid business expense?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

Yes you can however it has to be a certain % over your AGI, similar to how you can deduct for medical expenses. I'm sure there is an IRS publication on the subject.

LdiJ

Yes you can however it has to be a certain % over your AGI, similar to how you can deduct for medical expenses. I'm sure there is an IRS publication on the subject.
Its actually a little iffy. It would honestly depend on whether or not the IRS would consider their home office to be their actual place of business. Otherwise, the IRS would treat the miles to the job and back as commuting miles, which are not deductible.

I think its iffy if their home office would be considered their place of business. Yes, they do some paperwork there, but they are employees, they are not self employed. They may have a legitimate home office, but the mileage is questionable at best.

ecmst12

If the only company car driving that you do is one trip per day between home and job site, then give back the car and get your own, then no worries about tax deductions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">