• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very Scared for Son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaizen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I know this does not fall under the custody/visitation category. I don't where, if anywhere, it belongs.

Years ago, my son and I were on taped in a really, really bad time of our lives. To view it, you could look at it and think "that is a mom and son who are miserable together. There relationship is so volatile." At the time, that was mostly true. The tape (which shows us in a particularly emotional exchange) is on youtube. It's not that way today.

I got a call tonight on my cell phone. I didn't recognize the number, so I didn't answer. The caller left a message for my son, using his first name (which was said in the tape). I checked the number out, and it was in Hawaii. I called back and told them I was son's mother, and what did they want with son. They didn't hear me! They said "Oh, Billy (fictitious), is that you?" And something had me go along with it.

They went on to tell "Billy" that they'd seen the tape and were appalled at how his mother treated him and how smart and mature he was, etc. etc. They said they really, really felt for him and asked "Mom's not there, is she? We didn't want to talk to her. We wanted to talk to you." They (now there was a man on one phone and a lady on another) went on to say they were afraid 'she'd cut this off and we're a couple of lonely misfits."

They said they hired a detective to find Billy (and said they hoped that didn't freak him out). They said they "want to meet in person", and asked if Billy had an email address. When I (who they remain thinking am Billy) said no, they asked for a snail mail address. I skirted that by saying (when they asked if mom monitored regular mail) that she definitely did. I was trying to think quickly - and very, very scared. I said I could set up an email and they were very happy about that and wanted to continue talking because they really felt for him, etc. But that mom shouldn't know.

I have no doubt they were trying to groom Billy to agree to go to them in Hawaii. They asked if things were still bad at home.

Anyhow, there's more to the story but those are the main points. I don't know what to do. I talked to my son and told him about it so he's aware. I called the police and they sent an officer out who was a complete jerk - asking me if I wanted him to send a fleet of fighter jets to go attack them. Said no crime had been committed. I asked if I corresponded via email as Billy with them and could bring the police more relevant info, would that help? He said that would be entrapment.

As my son pointed out, just because their area code indicates Hawaii in no means indicates they are in Hawaii.

Anyone have any feedback? I have watched plenty of Dateline NBC where Chris Hanson's team corresponds at the 14 year seduced and lured for sex. I believe they were trying to groom my son for their own desires and I am very scared...not only for us, but for other people they may set their sights on.

Proserpina

You monitor your son's online activity, right?

You called the police and they took a report - about two people who expressed concern about the welfare of your child, correct?

I'm sorry - I'm not sure what you want a message board to do for you. If the police won't act....y'know?

kaizen

I did not put it there, nor did I know or approve of that until it was too late.

It's there as a bit of internet drama for people to look at and do what they do, I suppose.

kaizen

They didn't take a report.

This person was not calling because they were concerned. They repeatedly asked if Mom was around, if Mom knew about the conversation.

Strangers (and adults at that) do not call 14 year olds and tell them they hired a private detective to find him and that they want to meet him.

Proserpina

They didn't take a report.

This person was not calling because they were concerned. They repeatedly asked if Mom was around, if Mom knew about the conversation.

Strangers (and adults at that) do not call 14 year olds and tell them they hired a private detective to find him and that they want to meet him.

14 year olds with naughty friends often play pranks on unsuspecting parents though.

Let's face it.

mistoffolees

14 year olds with naughty friends often play pranks on unsuspecting parents though.

Let's face it.
And no crime was committed. Sure, maybe the cop was unsympathetic, but seriously, they're busy fighting real crimes.

Ask Youtube to remove the video, block that phone number, and forget it.

I'mTheFather

Or you could take your concerns here:

https://report.cybertip.org/index.htm;jsessionid=BB483BD0556F1060934364EC88898568.report.cybertip.org

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">