• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My renewal rate will go up but will lease the unit to someone else for less

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tt91302

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have lived in my apartment for 2 years now and have had a 12 month lease each year.

year 1 rent was $1,700/month
year 2 rent is $1,880/month
if I signed a lease for year 3 it was going up to $2,000/moth

So I have turned in my 30 day notice and told them I will be out at the end of the current lease term next month.

I just reviewed the landlords webpage and they are listing my unit for $1,800/month with a 1 year lease. It is not listed as a special rate or as a move in special just as a every day rate.

I called the office and ask to renew at that rate and they told me no.

Is this legal for the landlord to do??

Thanks

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have lived in my apartment for 2 years now and have had a 12 month lease each year.

year 1 rent was $1,700/month
year 2 rent is $1,880/month
if I signed a lease for year 3 it was going up to $2,000/moth

So I have turned in my 30 day notice and told them I will be out at the end of the current lease term next month.

I just reviewed the landlords webpage and they are listing my unit for $1,800/month with a 1 year lease. It is not listed as a special rate or as a move in special just as a every day rate.

I called the office and ask to renew at that rate and they told me no.

Is this legal for the landlord to do??

Thanks

Yes.

My guess: They would prefer not to renew your tenancy.

xylene

You gave your notice. You can't retract it.

What if your landlord gave you notice for non-renewal and they retracted it....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You gave your notice. You can't retract it.

What if your landlord gave you notice for non-renewal and they retracted it....
I suspect that if the OP renewed at $2,000.00 then they would allow him to retract the notice.

tt91302

I was just told by the manager that I can take back my notice and stay at the new rate of $2,000 but the rate on-line "is for anyone but me"

FarmerJ

Your LL is free to set the rent for a new customer lower than a renewal, Its LL choice, but voting with your feet is another choice and thing is that you may well find a better deal than you have now. Some LLs do realize the lower cost of doing business via retaining current tenants , for some it doesnt matter and they do what they are gonna do. , nothing you can do about it but enjoy your new place.

sandyclaus

I was just told by the manager that I can take back my notice and stay at the new rate of $2,000 but the rate on-line "is for anyone but me"
My guess: They would prefer not to renew your tenancy.
I think THIS statement just about wraps it up in a nice, neat bow.

Apparently, something you have done in the past has made them decide to penalize you. They'll let you stay, but ONLY if you pay the higher rate demanded.

You don't happen to live in a rent-controlled community, do you? If you did, there would be a limit on how much the rent can legally be raised each year. If not, then they can raise it to any amount they choose - with the requirement that if the amount is over 10% more than the last increase, that the LL is required to give you a 60-day notice of the increase instead of only 30. (Yours is at 9.4%, just under the 10% cap for that longer notice requirement.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">