• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if I try to hack someones passwords

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blair2012

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas

I have an important client who wants me to try to send a keylogger to surreptitiously obtain passwords from their former employee's computer.

I am sure this is not legal, but I don't want to lose the client. How much trouble can I get in or the client?

FlyingRon

If the employer is trying to break into computer's he owns that's one thing. Breaking into someone else's is problematic.

swalsh411

You are actually thinking for one second that this is an ok thing to do? I hope you don't have children. What sort of ethical standards do you hold yourself to?

blair2012

Actually I was looking for ammunition to take to the client to get them to quit insisting.

I had no intention. I suspect there are some criminal possibilities there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually I was looking for ammunition to take to the client to get them to quit insisting.

I had no intention. I suspect there are some criminal possibilities there.
Ammunition?
Really?

You can't just say "I'm sorry, but I am unable to do this."?

LdiJ

Ammunition?
Really?

You can't just say "I'm sorry, but I am unable to do this."?
If its a good, viable client, then I am sure that he wants backup to explain to the client WHY he cannot do it. My suggestion is that he tell the client that he ran it by his attorney, and his attorney said "absolutely no".

justalayman

do you need something specific or is simply "it's illegal" good enough? If it isn't good enough, I would suggest this might not be a client you wish to continue a relationship with.

LdiJ

do you need something specific or is simply "it's illegal" good enough? If it isn't good enough, I would suggest this might not be a client you wish to continue a relationship with.
I don't disagree, but in today's market most companies cannot afford to just throw away viable clients. In my practise I frequently have to tell clients why I won't do what they want me to do, and explain very clearly the consequences to both them and me as to why I won't do it. Yes, I will decline to keep them as a client if they won't listen to me, but I will certainly attempt to make them understand things thoroughly before I do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">