• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgements - Are you notified if you have one against you.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schlep.rock

State of Oregon

Are you notified if you have a judgement against you from a credit card company. Or do you just find your bank account balance gone one day.

I was convicted of a traffic violation in Oregon and didn't even know I had been accused. It was a photo radar ticket and presumably the citation went into the garbage with the junk mail.

Would I know if I had a judgement or is the notification process minimal for creditors? I cannot wake up one day and find I have no money for rent or food.

What is the cheapest way to file bankruptcy if you cannot pay. What is another option besides paying in full if you have no extra money?

Sorry, that is two questions under one post. Sometimes that can mess up queries by others. The judgement, I guess, is the most important matter as it can mean vanishing bank funds.

Thank you for your consideration

racer72

If you do have judgment for an unpaid traffic ticket, bankruptcy will not get rid of it. That is generally one of the many debt that cannot be dismissed by a bankruptcy. Filing bankruptcy over what is likely a few hundred dollars is foolish anyway.

Proseguru

Did you get the ticket or did you not get the ticket? If you did not get the ticket then you may be able to open up the default judgment.

ecmst12

They notified you. You ignored the notification. Most likely, they have sent you SEVERAL letters.

schlep.rock

I didn't state my question clearly. Sorry

I want to know if the credit card company is required to give better notification than the court did. Would it be a certified letter or may I have just tossed it away like it was junk mail.

sandyclaus

I want to know if the credit card company is required to give better notification than the court did. Would it be a certified letter or may I have just tossed it away like it was junk mail.
It wouldn't have been certified. And if you have to ask, you probably ALREADY threw it away.

That's what you get for ignoring your creditors. They come after what you have to pay what you should have in the first place.

And you won't get ANY notice whatsoever before they levy your bank account (after all, if everyone was told that it was going to happen, everyone would run to the bank and take out all their money before it got taken away, wouldn't they?).

schlep.rock

If you have been turned down for credit, not received a job for an unacceptable credit report, or once yearly you can have a free credit report. If you get the report it will show if you have any judgements against you. This is one means of knowing your current status. In case anyone else was interested.

Thanks for the help.

ecmst12

Why do you keep bringing up credit cards? This was NOT a credit card debt, it was a traffic ticket.

ecmst12

Yeah he mentions credit cards but then goes on to talk about an unpaid traffic ticket. Very confusing.

If you are sued, you have to be served, but there are lots of collection agencies willing to perform "sewer service" just to get a judgement. Watching your credit report is the best way to know about this. Of course, not accumulating delinquent debts is an even BETTER way.

Usually court service would have to be at least certified mail, if not in person. Traffic court does not follow the same rules as civil court though, so you can't correllate the 2 experiences.

So....do you owe unpaid credit card bills?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">