• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

University Keeping Unknown Records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FLlaw111

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I attended a University and stayed in the dorms. In the past 2 years, servers in the school have been hacked twice. I have been asking for to know who has what information of mine. My big concern is that they have more information about me than any other organization aside from the government. I worked there, lived there, learned there. I do not have faith that they deleted information which they no longer need in every database. They don't reply to my requests with real answers. The last reply I got said that law enforcement wasn't allowing the release of detailed information. I've been googling the past few days trying to learn about what rights I have but I can't find anything useful.

Does the University have the legal obligation to tell me what information they are keeping on me? (After I requested it)
I don't see why anyone except the transcript office and ITS needs my SS#. I want sensitive data to be deleted from databases where it isn't needed. Do I have an legal authority to have this done?

Thank you.
-FLlaw111

FlyingRon

Which university? The public universities have different standards than private ones.
Some places like UF have whole privacy rights offices that you can avail yourself of.

FLlaw111

I beleive they may have one or more of the following.
Social Security #
Bank account information (anything involved with setting up direct deposit)
Bank account information involved with making payments.
Name, address, and other basic information.

It is a small public university.

FlyingRon

Well if you gave them that information, what makes you think they don't have it.
If you were employed there or received payouts from anything (like financial aid) they're required to have the SSN.
What makes you think they're not allowed to retain such information?

FLlaw111

Well if you gave them that information, what makes you think they don't have it.
If you were employed there or received payouts from anything (like financial aid) they're required to have the SSN.
What makes you think they're not allowed to retain such information?
How long are they required to keep it though?

And I don't think they should retain it because it's proven to be unsafe sitting on their servers.

swalsh411

Please answer the following:

-Was any of this information about you obtained by the University from anybody other than yourself?

-Do you have any evidence that your identity has been compromised by information they had about you?

If no to both, you don't have a legal leg to stand on.

The reason you're not finding anything useful is because you're imagining rights that don't exist.

And I don't think they should retain it because it's proven to be unsafe sitting on their servers.
What specific knowledge or evidence do you have that any potentially damaging information about you was compromised? You don't have any right to demand they erase all your records from existence.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So, they delete all record of you from their servers JUST IN CASE some information about you was compromised.

Ten years from now, a potential employer wants verification of your having attended (and yes, they are entitled to do so).

The university can't find any record of you because you demanded all information be deleted. You don't get the job because your education cannot be verified.

Works out well for you, doesn't it?

FLlaw111

I think this article sums up my frustration
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1690827,00.html

-Do you have any evidence that your identity has been compromised by information they had about you?
Yes, they sent out an email to me saying "Your information "may" have been stolen because everyone's information was stolen, here's a year of free credit reporting"

If no to both, you don't have a legal leg to stand on.
Can you elaborate on what legs I could have if either case was true?

cbg: no one is going to verify with housing, they will verify with the transcripts office. I know the university's system somewhat well. Transcripts is locked down like a vault because that's their mentality. Housing probably keeps my social on an unencrypted excel file on a computer that some student browses random virus filled internet sites with because housing doesn't care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">