• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance or Lottery, Lottery or Health Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Crazy but problem with choosing.

Until 2014 when Obamacare will lawfully enforce Health Insurance to accept pre-existing insurance...My son has SSI and my wife is waiting for diability hearing but does have a health insurance that will accept pre-existing problems.

Like most or some of us, we constant try to win the lottery...And if by a miracle do win a large amount, botgh my son's SSI health insurance and my wife's health insurance may stop due to the "LOTTERY" is now considered income?!

I can get my son CHIP (child healthcare insurance plan) if thats what its called...PROBLEM IS MY WIFE...There are state run health insurance's that accept pre-existing but she would have to wait 6 months to be accepted...SO, ignoring the amount of the lottery won, I would still have to dish out of pocket to pay for doctor's visit, etc, etc. That I find unfair...Those type of bills cost more than most home utilities, everyday expenses....

So Im question the choice of winning the lottery or having health insurance PRESENTLY!

tranquility

It has been said, the lottery is a tax on those who can't do math. I'd add an insulting joke here, but choose not to. I hope others fill the slack.

ecmst12

This is not a problem you are ever likely to have, but if you do, there are products in place that will cover you. They may be expensive, but hey, you won the lottery, no big deal.

justalayman

Mega millions: 1 in 175,711,536

Powerball: 1 in 175,223,510

Do you really consider this as a viable retirement plan?

What the Hell. I say; go for it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am trying desperately to get this question to make sense, but I can't. He can't seriously be asking if he should choose between playing the lottery and keeping up his health insurance, can he?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am trying desperately to get this question to make sense, but I can't. He can't seriously be asking if he should choose between playing the lottery and keeping up his health insurance, can he?
That about sums it up!

OHRoadwarrior

I guess I am twisted enough to figure it out.....

Choice presently is not to change anything. Son will have insurance and wife will have insurance. If you ever win any significant amount of money in the lottery, continuing to buy her health insurance makes sense. Just because you in the lottery, does not mean you should drop insurance, hoping the tax payers will foot the bill with Obamacare. If you hit the lottery for an amount to justify the consideration, you would never notice all those bills. Sit back, relax, crack a Bud and watch a little Jerry, the world will not become unbalanced over this issue.

I'mTheFather

If you read the posting hx, things will become a lot clearer. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">