• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relationship with "Direct Report"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Goodfella

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I was fired this week for allegedly have a relationship with a direct report. I am a VP with a company in Tennessee. They have no evidence of a relationship, other than someone saw us "holding hands". There has been no favoritism and inappropriate behavior at the office. Also, there is NO WRITTEN POLICY about interoffice dating. My recent management review was exemplary and I made a lot of money for the organization.

I feel this is an overreach and they should have issued a warning rather than a termination. They have offered 2 months severance, and I think I should be more. Do I have chance of getting a better severance package? Could I sue for wrongful termination?

thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Take the money and run - nothing improper, much less illegal, has occurred here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do I have chance of getting a better severance package?

If you mean, are there legal grounds or a law I can invoke that will force them to give me more, no there aren't and no, there isn't. You are free to try to negotiate more. They are free to pull the offer already on the table.

Could I sue for wrongful termination?

On the facts you have provided, not even remotely.

Goodfella

Do I have chance of getting a better severance package?

If you mean, are there legal grounds or a law I can invoke that will force them to give me more, no there aren't and no, there isn't. You are free to try to negotiate more. They are free to pull the offer already on the table.

Could I sue for wrongful termination?

On the facts you have provided, not even remotely.
They are free to pull the offer on the table? That's what I was afraid of. So it appears that I have no rights here. Take the 2 month severance, or risk none. Nice...after 7 years of loyal service to the company. You guys are the lawyers, so I accept what you're telling me. That's why I ask here. I don't want to mess with the 2 months they already offered, but really? I will take the severance package to my lawyer, and will go with her recommendation. I just wanted to see what I can expect.

Proserpina

They are free to pull the offer on the table? That's what I was afraid of. So it appears that I have no rights here. Take the 2 month severance, or risk none. Nice...after 7 years of loyal service to the company. You guys are the lawyers, so I accept what you're telling me. That's why I ask here. I don't want to mess with the 2 months they already offered, but really? I will take the severance package to my lawyer, and will go with her recommendation. I just wanted to see what I can expect.

If your lawyer tells you anything other than what you've been told here for FREE, you need a different lawyer.

I have no idea why you think you're due anything at all, incidentally.

las365

Very few of the people who post here are lawyers. Several have extensive HR experience. At least one is a legal assistant who works for a law firm that does employment law. Most are lay persons with varying degrees of personal experience with or some knowledege of legal issues.

That's not to say that the responses you have received are incorrect. I agree that your termination is not illegal based on the information provided.

Last edited:

swalsh411

Like a lot of people you seem to believe you have a lot more rights than you really do. Just as you have the right to quit your job for any reason, your employer has the right to fire you for almost any reason.

It would not be illegal to fire you based on the mere suspicion of a relationship even if there was no witness. It would not be illegal to fire you if there was a policy permitting such a relationship. It would not be illegal to fire you if you went to the owner of the company and got permission and then the next day he changed his mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">