• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repossession order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ValleyJim

I live in Augusta County, Virginia and have a question.

I had to go on disability several months ago and we got behind on the payments for our mobile home. Since the mobile home is in a park and we did not get any land we do not have a traditional mortgage, it is more similar to an auto loan.

Our loan is through US Bank and they took us to court and got a repossession order two months ago. We have been trying to get caught up on our payments. I had spoke with someone at the bank and we made an arrangement that if I paid four payments in two months, last month and this month, then they would work with me. In the past two months we have made the two regular payments plus two additional payments.

We have been contacted by the attorney for the bank and received a letter to vacate the property. We are trying to get everything caught up and keep the home.

So, I spoke with the attorney today and they were very nice but said that they have not been notified by the bank to stop the proceedings but since I had made the two extra payments they would contact the bank and ask about the repossession.

That is all of the background for my situation. My questions are does anyone have any advice for stopping this? We are trying to get caught up and have already made a budget that will get us completely caught up in about three months.

Also, how long is a repossession order good for? I mean, if I get caught up can they use the possession order in say six months if they decide too?

Thank you for reading all of this and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

OHRoadwarrior

I don't throw carrots out often, however, being disabled I can sympathize. The appropriate response to them if they are refusing to work with you is to explain how much cheaper it will be for them to allow you time to catch up, earning interest and late fees, rather than repossessing the mobile home and you making them move it from the lot you have a lease on. Once you are caught up the order should be void.:D You can also mention how highly motivated you are, since you will need to buy another trailer and move it in.

sandyclaus

...Our loan is through US Bank and they took us to court and got a repossession order two months ago. We have been trying to get caught up on our payments. I had spoke with someone at the bank and we made an arrangement that if I paid four payments in two months, last month and this month, then they would work with me. In the past two months we have made the two regular payments plus two additional payments.

We have been contacted by the attorney for the bank and received a letter to vacate the property. We are trying to get everything caught up and keep the home....
Did you happen to get your arrangement put in writing? Because, "if it ain't in writing, it never happened"...:( Those darn verbal promises are extremely difficult to prove, let alone enforce, especially when one of the parties fails to honor the promise.

Making arrangements for extra payments makes good business sense for someone collecting a debt, but unless they gave you something in writing to back up your claim that these extra payments would stop the repossession, it will end up being a he-said/she-said situation. Whatever is put in writing governs the situation.

ValleyJim

Did you happen to get your arrangement put in writing? Because, "if it ain't in writing, it never happened"...:( Those darn verbal promises are extremely difficult to prove, let alone enforce, especially when one of the parties fails to honor the promise.

Making arrangements for extra payments makes good business sense for someone collecting a debt, but unless they gave you something in writing to back up your claim that these extra payments would stop the repossession, it will end up being a he-said/she-said situation. Whatever is put in writing governs the situation.
I know. I have always heard that a verbal contract is not worth the paper it is printed on.

However, I know that they record every phone call. Would that be of any help if I can get them to get me a copy of that phone conversation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">