• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update on other thread: We damaged carpet, landlord charges us for wood floors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lextex

TEXAS

Don't know why the other thread was closed, but anyway....

Got an update. We moved out of our apartment at the end of August. New tenants moved in the first week of September, after the management cleaned the apartment and replaced the carpet upstairs.

It wasn't until 9/18 that the management decided to replace the wood plank floors.

Doesn't them leasing it to new tenants show that the flooring met their standards? Who knows what happened to the flooring in the 18 days that someone else was living there, right?

Who's Liable?

TEXAS

Got an update. We moved out of our apartment at the end of August. New tenants moved in the first week of September, after the management cleaned the apartment and replaced the carpet upstairs.

It wasn't until 9/18 that the management decided to replace the wood plank floors.

Doesn't them leasing it to new tenants show that the flooring met their standards? Who knows what happened to the flooring in the 18 days that someone else was living there, right?
Yes. You are correct. The minute management moved someone into your space, they lost the right to charge you.

TEXAS

If you believe you have a claim against management file a lawsuit in small claims court. You are investing your time and minimal court costs. If this is important enough for your time and minimal costs pursue it; if not, get on with your life.

lextex

The issue isn't whether or not I have a claim with them, it's that they have one on me. I was charged to replace wood flooring. They say it was "damaged" and I say it wasn't. Apparently, the new tenants moved in and then they replaced the floors 3 weeks later (the day after they sent me a bill for it).

The issue isn't whether or not I have a claim with them, it's that they have one on me. I was charged to replace wood flooring. They say it was "damaged" and I say it wasn't. Apparently, the new tenants moved in and then they replaced the floors 3 weeks later (the day after they sent me a bill for it).
What happened to your security deposit?

nextwife

In what manner was the carpeting damaged? Might whatever damaged the carpet have damaged the floor below? How would they have known if floor below was damaged until the contractor who was removing the carpet was there doing the work? Was the new tenant scheduled to move in immediately upon you vacating, and did you advise the LL of the damage in advance so they could have time to review the damage and have time to repair it prior to the new tenant's contractual move in date?

LdiJ

In what manner was the carpeting damaged? Might whatever damaged the carpet have damaged the floor below? How would they have known if floor below was damaged until the contractor who was removing the carpet was there doing the work? Was the new tenant scheduled to move in immediately upon you vacating, and did you advise the LL of the damage in advance so they could have time to review the damage and have time to repair it prior to the new tenant's contractual move in date?
Nexie...the dog tore a hole in the upstairs carpeting. The landlord also replaced the downstairs plank wood flooring. OP is being charged for completely replacing the entire upstairs carpeting, and the entire downstairs plank wood flooring.

Nexie...the dog tore a hole in the upstairs carpeting. The landlord also replaced the downstairs plank wood flooring. OP is being charged for completely replacing the entire upstairs carpeting, and the entire downstairs plank wood flooring.
Well dogs do tend to ruin the look and finish of hardwood flooring if the owner doesn't keep their nails trimmed religiously.

lextex

So, I contacted a lawyer and gave him the details. He wrote a very nice 'demand' letter to the apartment manager, asking them to revise the move-out statement and remove the charges for the wood flooring downstairs.

This was over a month ago. Today, I received an email from the manager telling me that they are no longer pursuing the charges for the downstairs flooring.

Victory. :)

Proseguru

So, I contacted a lawyer and gave him the details. He wrote a very nice 'demand' letter to the apartment manager, asking them to revise the move-out statement and remove the charges for the wood flooring downstairs.

This was over a month ago. Today, I received an email from the manager telling me that they are no longer pursuing the charges for the downstairs flooring.

Victory. :)
That's nice. Always fight for your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">