• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer benifit Question..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Honestly, that's not necessarily an issue. Depending on how and where it's located, it may or may not be something they can accomplish in three days. While they are required by law to provide it on request, they're not required to drop everything and do it immediately. I'm not where I can look up how long they have to respond, but I know it's more than three days. 30 days is what sticks in my mind, but I'd have to double check with my compliance officer to be certain and I can't do that till tomorrow.

Look at it this way. If they're on the level, it's only fair to give them a reasonable amount of time. And if they're not (which is what I suspect) then what you're doing is giving them enough rope to hang themselves. If you've gotten no response at all in ten days, check back with me then; meanwhile, I'll talk to our compliance officer.

ETA - It is 30 days. So while I agree with you that they're probably playing games, right now they're still on the legal side of the line.

Last edited:

BigHell

Honestly, that's not necessarily an issue. Depending on how and where it's located, it may or may not be something they can accomplish in three days. While they are required by law to provide it on request, they're not required to drop everything and do it immediately. I'm not where I can look up how long they have to respond, but I know it's more than three days. 30 days is what sticks in my mind, but I'd have to double check with my compliance officer to be certain and I can't do that till tomorrow.

Look at it this way. If they're on the level, it's only fair to give them a reasonable amount of time. And if they're not (which is what I suspect) then what you're doing is giving them enough rope to hang themselves. If you've gotten no response at all in ten days, check back with me then; meanwhile, I'll talk to our compliance officer.

ETA - It is 30 days. So while I agree with you that they're probably playing games, right now they're still on the legal side of the line.
Hello,

I just wanted to touch base and let you know that things are still the same on my end. No coverage and nobody responded to my request for a copy of the SPD.

BigHell

When it gets to be 30 days, call the US DOL and make a complaint.
In your opinion, Is this something I should obtain a lawyer on for compensation?

I may be forced to resign and work somewhere else because I need the medical coverage.

I left my last job cause of the 100% employer paid medical. I also moved from my last residence and would have to move again.

What do you think?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You may ultimately want to involve a lawyer but I think it may be a bit premature yet.

I understand what you were promised and I understand that you left your last job on the basis of that promise.

However, based on what you have told me there *may* (I am not saying IS - I am saying MAY) be a valid reason why the employer had to reneg on their promise, or at least delay its implementation. That's why we want the SPD. The law is that they have 30 days to get it to you once you have made a request.

Here's what I would do at this point. I would send an email, delivery and read receipts requested. Send it to both your HR director and your supervisor. Respectfully and politely remind them that you were initially promised coverage; that you were told at the beginning of this month that you would have it in a couple of weeks; that you had also requested a copy of the plan SPD which you are entitled to under the law, and so far you have not heard anything so you would like a status update, please. See what that shakes loose.

BigHell

You may ultimately want to involve a lawyer but I think it may be a bit premature yet.

I understand what you were promised and I understand that you left your last job on the basis of that promise.

However, based on what you have told me there *may* (I am not saying IS - I am saying MAY) be a valid reason why the employer had to reneg on their promise, or at least delay its implementation. That's why we want the SPD. The law is that they have 30 days to get it to you once you have made a request.

Here's what I would do at this point. I would send an email, delivery and read receipts requested. Send it to both your HR director and your supervisor. Respectfully and politely remind them that you were initially promised coverage; that you were told at the beginning of this month that you would have it in a couple of weeks; that you had also requested a copy of the plan SPD which you are entitled to under the law, and so far you have not heard anything so you would like a status update, please. See what that shakes loose.

Thanks again. I will wait untill after X-Mas to send that email. I dont want to stress anyone out before the Holidays.

Happy Holidays to you and yous as well..

BigHell

Sounds like a plan. Best of luck to you and keep me posted.

Received my coverage... Its funny though.. I did not fill out a single sheet of paper work and I was enrolled in a medical plan. They way I found out was with a letter welcoming me. Atleast I got it though..

Thanks for all your help.
Happy New Year...
BigHell

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
At least you got it and without having to take legal action. Thanks for letting me know!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">