• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment from daily virus-containing spam emails

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Talk Walk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am receiving multiple emails every day from a fake Craigslist inquiry that acquired my email address through deception. The multiple daily emails consist of a paragraph about a supposed young woman seeking sex and there are large, graphic nude and nearly nude photos included in these emails. There is a clickable link in the emails purported to be a way to 'contact' with the women in the photos. I have not clicked on any of the links contained in the emails nor will I. I don't know for sure but think that it's highly likely that the links contain a virus or some other malware.

On top of this situation being simply annoying and invasive in my inbox, I have young children who are being exposed to these photos and it just feels really violating on that level.

For the first few weeks and few hundreds of these emails, I went round and round in circles with the email servers; making requests for these fake accounts to be blocked since they were breaking the terms of service from their account providers. But the offender(s) just goes and creates new accounts every single day and gets away with it yet again, evading an effective blocking techniques. I also sent direct reply emails to the offender(s) containing cease and desist notifications on the recommendation of the police and filed a police report. Of course, I have since created a separate new email address that will be used for Craigslist from now on so that I can simply close it out if anything like this ever happens again. Craigslist has also been informed but it seems that they are unable to do anything about this and they're the ones who suggested that I get in touch with the email servers.

None of this has gotten me anywhere. Now, it seems that the only thing I can do is create a filter/rule within my email account and send these emails directly to the trash. This, thankfully, is keeping the emails out of my inbox, finally. I'm noticing, however, that there are still large quantities of the unwanted emails coming to me every single day - the only difference is that now they're simply being routed directly to the trash. That is a relief but I am wondering if there is anything else I can or should do about this. Thoughts?

Talk Walk

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I certainly have learned the obvious lesson from this and will be scrupulously careful in the future.

I am unable to change my email address, unfortunately.

I did not state that in my OP but it is not possible. I am looking for advice that would work within the context of keeping my existing email address.

ecmst12

There are many good spam-fighting products on the market today. Once your address is out there, you can't take that back.

sandyclaus

...I am unable to change my email address, unfortunately...
It's not that you're UNABLE to, it would just be mighty inconvenient to do so. I suppose it's a matter of what's more inconvenient for you, then - getting all the SPAM emails or changing the email address they are going to.

In addition, you might think about reporting them to a SPAM reporting service, such as SpamCop (http://www.spamcop.net/). SpamCop determines the origin of unwanted email and reports it to the relevant Internet service providers. By reporting spam, you have a positive impact on the problem. It's a free service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">