• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support calculation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Talk Walk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am having trouble calculating child support using the official state of Arizona child support calculator. Wondering if anyone is willing to assist me with the numbers.

gam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am having trouble calculating child support using the official state of Arizona child support calculator. Wondering if anyone is willing to assist me with the numbers.
Seems pretty easy to follow, it's all laid out for ya. So you would have to be specific in what your having an issue with using it.

There are plenty of people on here who can help you crunch the numbers but that would mean posting personal financial information on a message board that anyone can read. Are you sure you want to do that?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Thing is, those calculators will only give you a rough idea - its not the end-all and be-all of what is owed. So I'm not understanding what is so complicated... plug in the numbers they ask, and it spits out a general idea.

Talk Walk

Thank you for the replies.

Seems pretty easy to follow, it's all laid out for ya. So you would have to be specific in what your having an issue with using it.

My issue is that I keep getting different answers and a general unfamiliarity/overwhelm that I think is interfering.

There are plenty of people on here who can help you crunch the numbers but that would mean posting personal financial information on a message board that anyone can read. Are you sure you want to do that?

Well, my/our numbers aren't very attractive, lol. And I don't know how personally revealing they would be to share on this board because I don't plan on offering names or other personal specifics. But, if I'm missing something, please share with me what I haven't considered.

Thing is, those calculators will only give you a rough idea - its not the end-all and be-all of what is owed. So I'm not understanding what is so complicated... plug in the numbers they ask, and it spits out a general idea.

I was told by the Arizona court that this is the exact and solitary means of determining the amount (that is officially recognized). We're doing a DIY divorce and are able to negotiate between the two of us. We're not using lawyers because we really can't afford to (and because there's not much to negotiate to begin with). So, we need to have all this worked out between us before filing or at least before the divorce is finalized. I've been advised by the court system that the judge's role will be only to approve (or not) what we've already negotiated between us.

gam

Thank you for the replies.

My issue is that I keep getting different answers and a general unfamiliarity/overwhelm that I think is interfering.

Well, my/our numbers aren't very attractive, lol. And I don't know how personally revealing they would be to share on this board because I don't plan on offering names or other personal specifics. But, if I'm missing something, please share with me what I haven't considered.

I was told by the Arizona court that this is the exact and solitary means of determining the amount (that is officially recognized). We're doing a DIY divorce and are able to negotiate between the two of us. We're not using lawyers because we really can't afford to (and because there's not much to negotiate to begin with). So, we need to have all this worked out between us before filing or at least before the divorce is finalized. I've been advised by the court system that the judge's role will be only to approve (or not) what we've already negotiated between us.
Have you read the Arizona Child Support Guidelines? Here is the link, taking from the same page I found the calculator at.
http://www.azcourts.gov/Portals/31/GuideSched10072011.pdf

From briefly looking over the calculator it seems like it is pretty close to what my state does. The written guideline for my state really helped in getting me familiar with the whole system before using the calculator.

So read over that guideline first. Then post questions you still have.

While your posting without names, this is a public online forum, as with any public online postings, your never really safe from someone finding out who you are. Your soon to be ex could also run across this post and figure out it is you, and not be very happy your posting her financial business on the web.

Talk Walk

Have you read the Arizona Child Support Guidelines? Here is the link, taking from the same page I found the calculator at.
http://www.azcourts.gov/Portals/31/GuideSched10072011.pdf

From briefly looking over the calculator it seems like it is pretty close to what my state does. The written guideline for my state really helped in getting me familiar with the whole system before using the calculator.

So read over that guideline first. Then post questions you still have.

I have read through the guideline and thank you for posting the link here on the thread.

For those interested, here is the link to the Arizona calculator (click the purple button at the bottom of the page):

http://www.azcourts.gov/familylaw/2011ChildSupportCalculator.aspx

While your posting without names, this is a public online forum, as with any public online postings, your never really safe from someone finding out who you are. Your soon to be ex could also run across this post and figure out it is you, and not be very happy your posting her financial business on the web.

I suppose. Though I'm still not terribly concerned because my income is nothing to get excited about. My STBX is accepting of my asking for assistance. We're both just sincerely needing a second opinion.

If it is more comfortable or acceptable, I would be happy to take the conversation to private message with anyone who is willing to assist.

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The calculator is a GUIDELINE - you will need to negotiate. If you absolutely cannot agree, then the court will likely use the calculator's numbers.

I am curious. You say you keep getting different results. Are you entering exactly the same information and yielding different results? Or, are you adjusting the entries each time?

Silverplum

The calculator is a GUIDELINE - you will need to negotiate. If you absolutely cannot agree, then the court will likely use the calculator's numbers.
I agree.

Zigner said:
I am curious. You say you keep getting different results. Are you entering exactly the same information and yielding different results? Or, are you adjusting the entries each time?
That's what I was going to ask! ;)

Talk Walk

Yes, of course. And we are not disagreeing on anything WRT child support at this time.

Yes, that is what has happened. Although they've been relatively within the same ball park.

Silverplum

Yes, that is what has happened.
Zigner asked an either/or question -- answering with a "yes" doesn't tell us whether you:

1. Entered the exact same info and got different answers each time,

OR

2. Entered different numbers and got different answers.

Talk Walk said:
Although they've been relatively within the same ball park.
Sounds like Option 2.

In that case, you either agree on an amount or allow the court to establish it for you.

gam

Within the same ball park, would then lead me to go with whatever myself and the ex could agree on. A Judge as long as you both agree and the receiver of child support is not receiving any state assistant, will usually just go with what you agree to. If they want to check it they can and will just run the numbers themselves. If what you have was say $50 less then what the Judge comes up with, Judges discretion to either use what you agreed to or the actual number from the calculator. I personally would run the numbers again, then run them a second time and if those numbers are different, using the same exact imput as the first time you ran it, just go with the middle of the road of the 2. See if the ex would agree.

No one here can run your numbers and guarantee that is exactly what a Judge is going to come up with running your numbers. We can answer questions of is this figured in there, or can I count this or does the other party get to subtract this. General type questions of what is going in and with some of these things, there are other factors where Judges have some discretion to go outside of the guideline or calculator for various reasons.

We don't know all the ins and outs, and you can give us those ins and outs, but most often one forgets something or thinks it is not one of those Judge discretion areas and gives wrong numbers or wrong circumstances to the situation. So we would be foolish in attempting to figure out an exact figure for someone. All anybody else here can come up with is a BALL PARK FIGURE, which you already have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">