• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gave 3 weeks notice, left in good standing, now old boss wants me to finish project?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lextex

Texas

--

At the beginning of January, I put in my notice to leave my city government job with the police department. I gave roughly three weeks notice.

I worked in the forensics lab editing video/photos, handling evidence on a daily basis. On my last day, my boss cut me loose early after taking my key, uniforms, etc.

About a week after my last day, my boss emailed me and told me I'd need to come back into the office to finish one of the projects and update the chain of custody on some evidence that I passed on to one of my coworkers (a DVD that was in the process of copying when I was told to leave on my last day).

Now, I don't really have a problem with going by there and signing a couple of things over to somebody else, but when I responded to him I didn't really like the tone of his reply. I told him that I can come by in the afternoon, but it would have to be around 6:30pm since that's when I get off my new job (their office hours only go til 4pm) or somebody could meet me on a Saturday. He responded by telling me I needed to come in during their office hours or he would be in touch with 'the legal department.'

Again, I don't really mind going by there to sign some papers... but 'the legal department'? I don't really get that one. You'd think that if this were 'legal department'-serious, he would have addressed it in the three weeks before I left, you know? :)

tranquility

Cops and the government often make vague threats, imagine that. If you were properly released by your supervisor on your last day, I can't see how you have any legal liability for leaving. The next time you communicate, let them know you want to cooperate, but their plan is difficult for you. If they want you to go out of your way to help them, they should explain themselves. If they feel you have done something wrong, I don't see how you going back on their terms really changes things.

Communicate cooperation. Explain difficulties. Start CYA by papering the conversation with the supervisor. That is, send a letter to the department describing what you have described to us and ask how you can help.

swalsh411

He's blowing smoke. They can't make you do anything. If you don't care about using him as a reference I would simply reply "My employment terminated on XX/XX/XX." and then ignore him.

TigerD

Personally, I wouldn't do it. From your post, I'd bet they screwed something up and they are looking for someone to blame --- the guy who isn't working there anymore.

DC

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no legal action he can take against you for not coming in during office hours - there is no legal action he can take against you if you do not come in at all.

Mass_Shyster

He responded by telling me I needed to come in during their office hours or he would be in touch with 'the legal department.'
Tell him that since you are unavailable during their office hours, you'll wait for the call from 'the legal department'.

His move.

As others have said, 'the legal department' can not force you to work. I'm pretty sure there's something in the constitution prohibiting slavery.

lextex

Well, my main concern is that I don't get my last paycheck until next Friday (the one that includes all my vacation days paid out). So, I'm worried that if I can't make it in there before then, they'll try to screw me over and hold that check until this is taken care of.

It's going to be very interesting when I do make it down there, either way. If they ask me to simply sign a chain-of-custody slip that states the date those items left my custody, I'm cool with that... but if they want me to sign it as the current date, I don't think I'll do it (that would require me to say that evidence was in my possession for the last week+ when I wasn't working there anymore and anybody in the office had access to it). I was only working on traffic issues, I believe -- nothing major that I can remember, but still, like somebody else already pointed out -- I don't want to be a scapegoat for anything that they may have muffed.

lextex

Went in there on my lunch late last week. My ex supervisor was a total butthole. It's all over, though.

Took about an hour. Still thinking about charging them for my time.

tranquility

I know you said that in jest, because I'm sure that you understand that there is no way you could successfully do that ;)
Why not? Didn't Lincoln free the slaves? I bet if the OP were to make a wage claim to the Texas Workforce Commission, I suspect he'd win. (The claim. I think he'd lose in the long run. He'd rather have the chance of a good recommendation from the department than the money an hour's pay would be.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why not? Didn't Lincoln free the slaves? I bet if the OP were to make a wage claim to the Texas Workforce Commission, I suspect he'd win. (The claim. I think he'd lose in the long run. He'd rather have the chance of a good recommendation from the department than the money an hour's pay would be.)
Ok, I'll adjust a bit. It's highly unlikely that the OP would be successful ;)

tranquility

Ok, I'll adjust a bit. It's highly unlikely that the OP would be successful ;)
Actually, while we can wait for those with more experience, I think he'd win. He had his (former) supervisor call him in for work. When you work, the law says you get paid. I'm not sure what the department could even argue.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, while we can wait for those with more experience, I think he'd win. He had his (former) supervisor call him in for work. When you work, the law says you get paid. I'm not sure what the department could even argue.
He was asked to do a favor...one that he had no legal obligation to do. He volunteered his time for the local PD. Happens all the time ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">