• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident while driving with a suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

franz-27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi,

I was recently involved in an auto accident. It was on a freeway offramp with 4 lanes. The lane I was in was lane #3 which was for going straight and turning right. The other vehicle was in lane #2 which was a left turn only lane. At the time I was going straight and the other car was turning left then suddenly decided to go to my lane at the last minute which resulted in him hitting me. To make things interesting, he was driving under a suspended license and the car (which pretty much got totaled) was not even his. He told the car's owner that the accident was my fault which was a total lie but my question is when I mentioned to the other party's insurance that he had a suspended license, they told me that this did not matter in finding fault for the accident. Doesn't it count as neglect when the vehicle owner lends his vehicle to someone whose driving priviledges are suspended therefore making the accident his fault since he shouldn't have been driving in the first place? :confused:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi,

I was recently involved in an auto accident. It was on a freeway offramp with 4 lanes. The lane I was in was lane #3 which was for going straight and turning right. The other vehicle was in lane #2 which was a left turn only lane. At the time I was going straight and the other car was turning left then suddenly decided to go to my lane at the last minute which resulted in him hitting me. To make things interesting, he was driving under a suspended license and the car (which pretty much got totaled) was not even his. He told the car's owner that the accident was my fault which was a total lie but my question is when I mentioned to the other party's insurance that he had a suspended license, they told me that this did not matter in finding fault for the accident. Doesn't it count as neglect when the vehicle owner lends his vehicle to someone whose driving priviledges are suspended therefore making the accident his fault since he shouldn't have been driving in the first place? :confused:
They are correct this does not matter when assigning blame.

sandyclaus

It MAY, however, affect whether or not his insurance company will cover the claim. If the driver is not covered, then the owner of the vehicle would end up responsible for whatever happens with his car - especially through his negligence of allowing a driver without a valid license to operate it.

sandyclaus

You can ask, but if they say no, you can't force the issue.

Just hand it over to YOUR insurance company and let them handle the claim on your behalf.

CdwJava

I was recently involved in an auto accident. It was on a freeway offramp with 4 lanes. The lane I was in was lane #3 which was for going straight and turning right. The other vehicle was in lane #2 which was a left turn only lane. At the time I was going straight and the other car was turning left then suddenly decided to go to my lane at the last minute which resulted in him hitting me. To make things interesting, he was driving under a suspended license and the car (which pretty much got totaled) was not even his. He told the car's owner that the accident was my fault which was a total lie but my question is when I mentioned to the other party's insurance that he had a suspended license, they told me that this did not matter in finding fault for the accident. Doesn't it count as neglect when the vehicle owner lends his vehicle to someone whose driving priviledges are suspended therefore making the accident his fault since he shouldn't have been driving in the first place?
As previously mentioned, being an unlicensed driver does not contribute to fault. It might, however, result in the other party's insurance not covering any claim.

As sandyclaus suggested, turn the matter over to YOUR insurance company and let them handle the matter.

GaryHorgan

Yes you are right sandy. Let your insurance company handle this claim. If you are still confused then consult with a lawyer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">