• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out of the country - visitation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

disturbeddreame

I am not bashing extended nursing.
As I stated, it is my opinion that one of the reason the child is clingy, and doesn't want anything to do with Dad is because of the breastfeeding. If Mom exclusive breastfed for first 6 mo., and it was breastfeeding on demand (which is recommended), how did that work for any sort of visitation with Dad? Did Mom (or Dad for that matter) use that as excuse to put restrictions on visits? Did Mom "hover" during visitations, making it difficult for the baby and father to bond?
So, I'm not bashing. I have concerns that the breastfeeding may have allowed the Mom an excuse to shut dad out. It happens in intact families as well!
That can be a case seomtimes im sure.

It (nursing being a problem) was talked about between the parties but the level of clingyness was pretty extreme (we didnt know anyone else who had babies who nursed that were that clingy) so it just seemed like nursing couldnt be THE problem. and now we have the SAD and SM diagnosis Im glad I didnt forcibly wean her bc it may have made it worse.

Proserpina

the WHO and AAP recommend 2 years or beyond.

so I dont think 3 is a stretch?

A bit of a clarification.

The WHO and APP both recommend nursing exclusively for the first 6 months - but time past that is naturally up to Mom and the needs of the child.

Not that anybody cares about what I think (unless it involves the NFL and even then...), but honestly? If mother and child are fine with it, it's none of my business whether you're tandem nursing a newborn and a two year old, or feeding formula from the word "go".

Though I did appreciate a t-shirt worn by a 3 month old saying "Boobs for Noobs!". It was cute. In that sort of creepy "Um...okay..." kind of way.

Ladyback1

Not that anybody cares about what I think (unless it involves the NFL and even then...), but honestly? If mother and child are fine with it, it's none of my business whether you're tandem nursing a newborn and a two year old, or feeding formula from the word "go".
I agree with you.

Don't care if the baby is breast or formula fed--as long as the child is getting fed! That is all that really matters.:D

disturbeddreame

The WHO and APP both recommend nursing exclusively for the first 6 months - but time past that is naturally up to Mom and the needs of the child.

Though I did appreciate a t-shirt worn by a 3 month old saying "Boobs for Noobs!". It was cute. In that sort of creepy "Um...okay..." kind of way.
clarificaton. the WHO recommends exclusively for 6 months and then two years or longer.

see link

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond.
http://www.who.int/topics/breastfeeding/en/

Proserpina

clarificaton. the WHO recommends exclusively for 6 months and then two years or longer.

see link

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond.
http://www.who.int/topics/breastfeeding/en/

Re-read what I actually posted.

:cool:

gam

Both highly encourage to go beyond that 6 months. Only in this country is breastfeeding not considered to be normal past a certain age. So few breastfeed in this country, that is often misunderstood, while it does lead to a strong bond between baby and mom, it does not make baby clingy. There is no encouragement for women who attempt to breastfeed, first sign of trouble and they are told to switch to formula. Most issues can be worked out if mom is giving proper information.

Only in this country is breastfeeding used for the argument of keeping baby from father or the opposite of giving father so much time that it will cause issues with breastfeeding in the early months.

Not sure why breastfeeding was even brought up in this thread and why someone decided to blame the extended breastfeeding for dad and child not having a bond. Might want to get details before you go assuming that. Even if mom kept dad from baby because of breastfeeding, breastfeeding is not the cause for the childs issues now, mom would be the cause. Dad to cause he has had 6 years to get his butt into court and get time to bond with the child, breastfeeding would not have prevented him from not bonding with the child in 6 years. SMH

Oh and most of that is not at you Pro, just bounced off your post, sorry.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Again she is in the Bahamas. NOTE that she did NOT state she wasn't. She is in the Bahamas. She changed it to Florida only after she was told that we couldn't help her in the Bahamas. My guess is she is still in the Bahamas.

Proserpina

Both highly encourage to go beyond that 6 months. Only in this country is breastfeeding not considered to be normal past a certain age. So few breastfeed in this country, that is often misunderstood, while it does lead to a strong bond between baby and mom, it does not make baby clingy. There is no encouragement for women who attempt to breastfeed, first sign of trouble and they are told to switch to formula. Most issues can be worked out if mom is giving proper information.

Only in this country is breastfeeding used for the argument of keeping baby from father or the opposite of giving father so much time that it will cause issues with breastfeeding in the early months.

Not sure why breastfeeding was even brought up in this thread and why someone decided to blame the extended breastfeeding for dad and child not having a bond. Might want to get details before you go assuming that. Even if mom kept dad from baby because of breastfeeding, breastfeeding is not the cause for the childs issues now, mom would be the cause. Dad to cause he has had 6 years to get his butt into court and get time to bond with the child, breastfeeding would not have prevented him from not bonding with the child in 6 years. SMH

Oh and most of that is not at you Pro, just bounced off your post, sorry.
No worries, gam :)

(It was brought up I suppose, because Somebody thought it was important?)

disturbeddreame

Again she is in the Bahamas. NOTE that she did NOT state she wasn't. She is in the Bahamas. She changed it to Florida only after she was told that we couldn't help her in the Bahamas. My guess is she is still in the Bahamas.
thanks for clarifying. I think i apologized maybe in 2009 for that.
But im sure if anyone hasnt already checked my past posts as seems to be so popular then they can tell me if I apologized.

but apologizing again.... there is no forum for Bahamian Law and we are US citizens and Bahamian law is usually pretty much the same with regard to family law as the US so I sought advice. If I ever decide to reside in the US again (which would be our place in FL) it might be helpful to know these things.

But in fact, as I was advised here is what my attorney and Social Services reiterated. so I did get useful info on the thread.
so thanks and sorry if anyone felt they wasted their time replying bc Im not in the USA

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But im sure if anyone hasnt already checked my past posts as seems to be so popular then they can tell me if I apologized.

but apologizing again.... there is no forum for Bahamian Law and we are US citizens and Bahamian law is usually pretty much the same with regard to family law as the US so I sought advice. If I ever decide to reside in the US again (which would be our place in FL) it might be helpful to know these things.

But in fact, as I was advised here is what my attorney and Social Services reiterated. so I did get useful info on the thread.
so thanks and sorry if anyone felt they wasted their time replying bc Im not in the USA
Wasted your time is more like it. My answer, while correct, did not apply to the law in your country. As such, it could very well have been wrong. I *should* have simply stated "US Law Only". In this case, my answer happened to coincide with the TWO answers you already received. Now that I think about it, why would you even bother posting on a forum when not only your attorney had advised you about this, but the relevant agency had also given advice that matched what your attorney advised? :confused::rolleyes:

disturbeddreame

Wasted your time is more like it. My answer, while correct, did not apply to the law in your country. As such, it could very well have been wrong. I *should* have simply stated "US Law Only". In this case, my answer happened to coincide with the TWO answers you already received. Now that I think about it, why would you even bother posting on a forum when not only your attorney had advised you about this, but the relevant agency had also given advice that matched what your attorney advised? :confused::rolleyes:
I posted BEFORE I received info from SS and my attorney

ive never rolled my eyes at anyone in real life or on a forum. dunno whats wrong with this forum.

Proserpina

I posted BEFORE I received info from SS and my attorney

ive never rolled my eyes at anyone in real life or on a forum. dunno whats wrong with this forum.

What you're not understanding is that every state in the US has different laws pertaining to the same darned situation.

You cannot say that Florida is "the same" as Bahamian law.

You cannot say that Florida is the same as Georgia, or Tennessee, or North Dakota.

THAT is why posters tend to insist on actually knowing which US state is applicable.

It sure as heck isn't because of our love of spelling.

anearthw

Bahama family law has significant differences. Can't you take things up to the privy council back in London? Can you imagine if someone from Florida tried that :p

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Pointing out that people are lying through their teeth and wasting our time is something at which I excel. You have no credibility and apparently not a brain in your head if you think the Bahamas is part of Fl. Carry on with your ignorance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">