• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination against cyclist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

janetbracero

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Florida
I hope my title does not sound silly but here is what has happened. I live in an apartment complex that has allowed me and other bicyclists to lock and store our bikes under the stairwell of our apartment or in a space in the carports. The current manager issued notices regarding the removal of various items from under stairwells, outside on the porch- the issue was not that any items violated fire codes. The problem is that there are parking spaces where residents can park cars, motorcycles, rv's and even store trailers and boats all free of charge. Bicyclists such as myself are not given any option but to store our bikes in our apartment. The manager refuses to provide bike racks. I and other cyclist feel singled out, because some of us do not own cars and feel we should be entitled to store a bike in lieu of a car if we so chose.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for sharing. I would recommend that you find room in your apartment.

Perhaps you can start a petition to have a small number of parking spots set aside to form a bike-parking area.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Florida
I hope my title does not sound silly but here is what has happened. I live in an apartment complex that has allowed me and other bicyclists to lock and store our bikes under the stairwell of our apartment or in a space in the carports. The current manager issued notices regarding the removal of various items from under stairwells, outside on the porch- the issue was not that any items violated fire codes. The problem is that there are parking spaces where residents can park cars, motorcycles, rv's and even store trailers and boats all free of charge. Bicyclists such as myself are not given any option but to store our bikes in our apartment. The manager refuses to provide bike racks. I and other cyclist feel singled out, because some of us do not own cars and feel we should be entitled to store a bike in lieu of a car if we so chose.
It may be "discrimination," but it's not illegal. Illegal discrimination is against one's gender, race, disability, etc.

Make or purchase a bike rack as a group and move forward.

janetbracero

Amenities

The fact is lots of amenities that were in place have been removed by the current manager. However, the one I care most about was space for cyclists. Our rent did not go down, yet services and amenities did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">