• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex girlfriend has my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holeshot123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I had bought a car with my girlfriend and had title/registration in both our names. We were breaking up so I went and switched the title/registration to my name only. The next day she moved to another state and took the car. I reported it stolen but the next day the officer told me I have to sue to get the car back and as far as they were concerned it was a civil matter. They called her and she sent them a picture of the old registration papers that had both our names on it and that was good enough for them. I need advice on what to do before she wrecks it or kills somebody in the car.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I had bought a car with my girlfriend and had title/registration in both our names. We were breaking up so I went and switched the title/registration to my name only. The next day she moved to another state and took the car. I reported it stolen but the next day the officer told me I have to sue to get the car back and as far as they were concerned it was a civil matter. They called her and she sent them a picture of the old registration papers that had both our names on it and that was good enough for them. I need advice on what to do before she wrecks it or kills somebody in the car.
She has just as much right to the use and possession of the vehicle as you do.

It was purchased jointly making it co-owned and your manipulating efforts at DMV does not change that.

Your only legal recourse is to bring an action for partition of personal property between co-owners. The result being that the court would order the car sold and the proceeds distributed equally.

However, that lawsuit would need to be filed in a state that can obtain personal jurisdiction over her person. Meaning a state wherein she can be physical served with process.

LdiJ

The title had OR on it.
While it says "or" that doesn't arbitrarily give you the right to ignore her ownership share. The police have already made it clear to you that it is a civil matter. Who has been making the car payments? Who has been paying for upkeep? Who carries the insurance? If she was considered to be ok and safe to drive the car while you were together what makes her unsafe now?

Holeshot123

The car is paid off and i pay insurance. The title is in my name only and doesnt have her name on it as the previous owner on the new title. Registration is in my name only also. The problem is that she went out of state with no intent on giving me anything for the car or return it.

BL

The car is paid off and i pay insurance. The title is in my name only and doesnt have her name on it as the previous owner on the new title. Registration is in my name only also. The problem is that she went out of state with no intent on giving me anything for the car or return it.
How legally? Did you have the title a Reg. put inyour name ONLY.

Answer or leave.

single317dad

At some point, she was considered fit to drive the car. The fact that you no longer find her fit to drive it does not constitute auto theft. If she won't bring the car back, you need to sue her.

Let this be a lesson for your future relationships (I don't mean that snarkily; really, take this lesson with you).

CdwJava

Then you sue her for the car. Until then, this has CIVIL written all over it. In fact, given the apparent circumstances, the vehicle could NOT be entered in as "stolen" into the nationwide Stolen Vehicle System (SVS).

Either sue her, or see if Iowa will pursue an investigation for her embezzling the vehicle (or your state's equivalent offense).

CdwJava

Quote the DMV LAW says you could or quit playing.
Actually, OR generally means either of them could do that. It's that way in my state as well. I haven't read Iowa law, but, I suspect that "OR" has a similar meaning there as here. But, his changing the title and registration while she has the car still smacks of a civil matter and would not suddenly make it a stolen vehicle. The police were right NOT to get involved.

BL

Actually, OR generally means either of them could do that. It's that way in my state as well. I haven't read Iowa law, but, I suspect that "OR" has a similar meaning there as here. But, his changing the title and registration while she has the car still smacks of a civil matter and would not suddenly make it a stolen vehicle. The police were right NOT to get involved.
AND i was ARgeeing. JUST NOT TO HIM UNILATERLY SAYING i had it put in MY MAME. GEE.

I HATE TABS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">