• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If she never used the insurance and she has since been taken off, you've got no issues. There's nothing you need to do.

The life insurance you mention; are you saying that your employer offers dependent life insurance and she is covered herself? Or that she is still listed as the beneficiary of yours?

utahcowboy72

If she never used the insurance and she has since been taken off, you've got no issues. There's nothing you need to do.

The life insurance you mention; are you saying that your employer offers dependent life insurance and she is covered herself? Or that she is still listed as the beneficiary of yours?
She is still employer covered

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So, there is a dependent life insurance policy out there so that if she dies, her beneficiary gets the death benefit? Is that what you mean?

Or do you mean that if you die, she gets a death benefit?

One is not a problem, one is not necessarily a problem, but I do need to know which.

utahcowboy72

So, there is a dependent life insurance policy out there so that if she dies, her beneficiary gets the death benefit? Is that what you mean?

Or do you mean that if you die, she gets a death benefit?

One is not a problem, one is not necessarily a problem, but I do need to know which.
She is covered by a company paid for life insurance policy as well as get mine if I die because she is still listed as my wife, this company automatically assigns it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She is covered by a company paid for life insurance policy as well as get mine if I die because she is still listed as my wife, this company automatically assigns it.
You may well get in trouble for not notifying them that they have been paying for a benefit for a spouse when she is no longer your spouse.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let's take this one piece at a time. Right now, let's just address her being the beneficiary of your insurance. If you were going to remove her as the beneficiary of your insurance, who would you replace her with? (Please keep in mind that there is NOTHING illegal about having an ex-wife as your life insurance beneficiary. It is not in ANY way a problem, legally, for your ex-wife to be your life insurance beneficiary.) But who would you put in, instead? You parents? Children? Girlfriend? Favorite charity? It could be anyone you want - there are few if any laws regarding life insurance beneficiaries.

(I'm going somewhere specific with this.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You may well get in trouble for not notifying them that they have been paying for a benefit for a spouse when she is no longer your spouse.
Maybe. Maybe not. We don't provide dependent life, but we do provide certain benefits (long term care, home and auto) that a dependent can get in their own name. Once they have the plan, they have it. It's only required that they be an eligible employee when they take out the insurance - it is not invalidated if their relationship changes and they're no longer a dependent.

Y'know, everyone is so hot to tell this poster that he's in trouble and is committing fraud, but I do this for a living and have since 1979. Could you all just back away for a few minutes and let me get some basics established? If OG can let me handle it, why can't the rest of you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">