• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement Payback

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sho3lace

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Live and Work in New York State

I have a tuition reimbursement policy that states if I quit or am fired with cause I need to pay back 100% of my tuition within the past 2 years.

I told my supervisor I am no longer interested in traveling for work, and refused a relocation to another country, to be with my family. My supervisor offered me a full-time home office position with 2 years without travel, I said I wasn't interested in that either.

My supervisor then told me that Friday would be my last day at work.

At no point did I say that I was resigning or quitting, I did mention that I had other job offers, was I fired with cause or voluntarily quit?

Thank you,
sho3lace

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Live and Work in New York State

I have a tuition reimbursement policy that states if I quit or am fired with cause I need to pay back 100% of my tuition within the past 2 years.

I told my supervisor I am no longer interested in traveling for work, and refused a relocation to another country, to be with my family. My supervisor offered me a full-time home office position with 2 years without travel, I said I wasn't interested in that either.

My supervisor then told me that Friday would be my last day at work.

At no point did I say that I was resigning or quitting, I did mention that I had other job offers, was I fired with cause or voluntarily quit?

Thank you,
sho3lace
Based on your refusal to work under the same conditions you had previously worked, and your refusal to work under alternative arrangements, I would say that you were fired for cause.

commentator

Either way, I see it that you're on the hook for that tuition money. You either quit or were fired for cause. You weren't laid off due to lack of work or something like that.

Yes, you were told this was your last day. That says fired. But it also sounds as though it's a pretty valid reason they told you that. Since you didn't want to go out of the country, and you didn't want to work here, it's hard to see what you did want to do other than quit.

At which point, they told you to get out. That comes very close to a voluntary quit. Sort of a mutual either/or thing. You don't wish to do what you have been doing on this job. You have basically refused to continue working for them, right?

When filing for unemployment, I would suggest you describe this situation to a decision maker in the system, and let them call it. I lean toward you quit by refusing both of the two possible job assignments they had offered you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">