• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uniformed Interstate Family Support Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ximat1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa and Arkansas

I reside in Arkansas. I have a Divorce decree with Child Support out of Iowa.

I lost my job in 2012, then spent several months in Jail first part of 2013. While in jail Iowa did a Uniform Interstate Family Support Act transfer of my order to Arkansas. When I got out of Jail I was homeless so I filing an answer to the Arkansas filing was not at the top of my priority list. Once I got back on my feet and found a place to live I filed a Motion to Modify Child Support in Iowa. They are still trying to collect 650 a month even though I've been unemployed for a year and a half now (because I did not request modification earlier).

Now I have a re-opened case in Iowa which I am conducting discovery on and moving forward to decrease child support. However, the case in Arkansas they are still trying to collect the child support, suspending my license etc.

Basically, in short, I have two cases open for the same order, for the same children, in two different states. Arkansas says I need to request a modification with them, Iowa is pressing forward with the modification request I have filed.

I have filed a Motion to Stay Judgment on the Arkansas case, but I cannot find any caselaw or any real legal argument why they should stop what their doing other than the fact that Iowa has a case in front of their judges as well...

I am lost and not sure what direction to look. I do know that an attorney would help, thing is... I can not afford to hire an attorney in both states, and am knowledgeable enough to read my way through caselaw and argue a case in court... I just do not know where to look for this type of scenario.

Thank you in advance,
X

Silverplum

Maybe you will find the right info or contact in one of these pages:

http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/childSupport/newToOCSE/Pages/InterstateCases.aspx

:)

Doreen

... I can not afford to hire an attorney in both states, and am knowledgeable enough to read my way through caselaw and argue a case in court...
Though not knowledgeable enough to stay out of jail... ;)

Anyway, if the original order is from Iowa and the Custodial parent and child still live there, then under UIFSA rules ONLY Iowa has jurisdiction to MODIFY its order. Arkansas may only enforce the order.

You should not be filing any modifications in Arkansas.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/law/iowaCode/sections?codeChapter=252K&year=2014

I'mTheFather

Though not knowledgeable enough to stay out of jail... ;)

Anyway, if the original order is from Iowa and the Custodial parent and child still live there, then under UIFSA rules ONLY Iowa has jurisdiction to MODIFY its order. Arkansas may only enforce the order.

You should not be filing any modifications in Arkansas.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/law/iowaCode/sections?codeChapter=252K&year=2014
He's not filing for a modification in Arkansas.

Ximat1

Tha ks for the jab on the jail part. I get it... I made a major error in nudgement and am paying for it.

The problem I am having ks im working the modification In iowa... But Arkansas is trying to suspend my license and all sorts of other stuff by saying I am doing nothing to remedy the child support.

I filed a motion to stay the judgement in Arkansas... no hearing yet... but I reallh do not know what... if any legal grounds I have for AR to suspend the judgement until Iowa rules. Thats the problem!

X

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">