• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disagree with Child Support Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

Hello. I think this is a great place, I'm looking forward to chatting regularly here. I am actually a Paralegal, but this is a new area to me and I'm a bit stumped. I filed to Modify a Court Order a few months ago asking for Child Support from my six-year-old daughter's father. He had not paid child support in five years which was a consensual agreement because he signed off his rights. The Judge re-instated his rights and drew up a great parenting plan for us which I have no problems with, we'd already been exercising this verbal agreement for months; he just refused to pay child support. The Judge did order him to pay child support but gave him a "downward deviation" from the strict child support guidelines because he has 3 step children and is remarried, so he only has to pay $35.00 a week! My question is obviously along the lines of, "you can't be serious"? WHY in God's name should my daughter get less child support because he has three step children? That's just absurd. Can anyone point me toward any case law that can help me out here? I for the life of me cannot understand why her children's needs come before our daughter? Furthermore, the following facts were not known to the Judge before he made his decision: his new wife voluntarily chooses not to work for no good reason. Basically cause she's lazy. Also, her ex-husband pays child support to her for their three children and he takes them every other weekend. She gets food stamps, electrical assistance and free medical insurance as well. I get none of that, and I have a two year old son as well from another relationship and for the record his loser Father pays $50.00 a month for child support! Because he is also, voluntarily unemployed. He's a bum. Not to be rude, but he lied to me and told me he couldn't have children so I didn't use birth control. I don't resent my son but had I known he could reproduce I would have used protection because he's always been a bum. Back to the point, I disagree with this situation whole heartedly. Should I file a Motion to Reconsider FIRST or just jump right to a Supreme Court Appeal?

Any insight would be extremely helpful!

Silverplum

Hello. I think this is a great place, I'm looking forward to chatting regularly here. I am actually a Paralegal, but this is a new area to me and I'm a bit stumped. I filed to Modify a Court Order a few months ago asking for Child Support from my six-year-old daughter's father. He had not paid child support in five years which was a consensual agreement because he signed off his rights. The Judge re-instated his rights and drew up a great parenting plan for us which I have no problems with, we'd already been exercising this verbal agreement for months; he just refused to pay child support. The Judge did order him to pay child support but gave him a "downward deviation" from the strict child support guidelines because he has 3 step children and is remarried, so he only has to pay $35.00 a week! My question is obviously along the lines of, "you can't be serious"? WHY in God's name should my daughter get less child support because he has three step children? That's just absurd. Can anyone point me toward any case law that can help me out here? I for the life of me cannot understand why her children's needs come before our daughter? Furthermore, the following facts were not known to the Judge before he made his decision: his new wife voluntarily chooses not to work for no good reason. Basically cause she's lazy. Also, her ex-husband pays child support to her for their three children and he takes them every other weekend. She gets food stamps, electrical assistance and free medical insurance as well. I get none of that, and I have a two year old son as well from another relationship and for the record his loser Father pays $50.00 a month for child support! Because he is also, voluntarily unemployed. He's a bum. Not to be rude, but he lied to me and told me he couldn't have children so I didn't use birth control. I don't resent my son but had I known he could reproduce I would have used protection because he's always been a bum. Back to the point, I disagree with this situation whole heartedly. Should I file a Motion to Reconsider FIRST or just jump right to a Supreme Court Appeal?

Not to be rude...but you don't need to trash-talk to get legal info. :cool:

ETA: You don't need my legal efforts. You need counseling.
I've removed the links to legal info.

Last edited:

Just Blue

I find it hard that a NH Judge would "give back" rights to a parent. Do you know the difference between visitation rights and parental rights? Given that you state you are a paralegal you really should.

And why do you sleep with a "bum" ? Do you know that, per your own words on this thread, it says MUCH about YOU? :(

Proserpina

Hello. I think this is a great place, I'm looking forward to chatting regularly here. I am actually a Paralegal, but this is a new area to me and I'm a bit stumped. I filed to Modify a Court Order a few months ago asking for Child Support from my six-year-old daughter's father. He had not paid child support in five years which was a consensual agreement because he signed off his rights. The Judge re-instated his rights and drew up a great parenting plan for us which I have no problems with, we'd already been exercising this verbal agreement for months; he just refused to pay child support.
Without an order, he didn't have to pay you anything.

The Judge did order him to pay child support but gave him a "downward deviation" from the strict child support guidelines because he has 3 step children and is remarried, so he only has to pay $35.00 a week! My question is obviously along the lines of, "you can't be serious"? WHY in God's name should my daughter get less child support because he has three step children? That's just absurd. Can anyone point me toward any case law that can help me out here? I for the life of me cannot understand why her children's needs come before our daughter?
Well, the statute kind of allows that.

Furthermore, the following facts were not known to the Judge before he made his decision: his new wife voluntarily chooses not to work for no good reason.
That doesn't mean anything at all to you.

Basically cause she's lazy.
She doesn't have to acknowledge your existence, let alone explain herself to you.

Also, her ex-husband pays child support to her for their three children and he takes them every other weekend. She gets food stamps, electrical assistance and free medical insurance as well. I get none of that, and I have a two year old son as well from another relationship and for the record his loser Father pays $50.00 a month for child support!

You've seriously got to get rid of the bitterness. What she does is absolutely none of your business.

Because he is also, volutarily unemployed. He's a bum. Not to be rude, but he lied to me and told me he couldn't have children so I didn't use birth control. I don't resent my son but had I known he could reproduce I would have used protection because he's always been a bum.

And you fell for that?!

Back to the point, I disagree with this situation whole heartedly. Should I file a Motion to Reconsider FIRST or just jump right to a Supreme Court Appeal?

You can disagree all you like. The statute does allow for certain deviations and situations.

The Supreme Court won't even consider your case until it's gone through the correct sequence.

Take a look here:

IV. Self-support reserve and minimum child support obligation.
(a) If the obligor parent's gross income is less than the self-support reserve and the court has determined that the obligor is not voluntarily unemployed or underemployed, the court shall order the child support obligation in the amount of a minimum support order.
(b) If the obligor parent's gross income is greater than the self-support reserve but payment of the parental support obligation as calculated under this chapter would reduce the obligor parent's adjusted gross income below the self-support reserve, the presumptive child support obligation shall be the difference between the self-support reserve and the obligor parent's adjusted gross income, but in any event shall be no less than the amount of a minimum support order.

Ladyback1

All the underlined text? You should have just left out! It makes you look petty and juvenile.

You should probably seek the advice of a competent family law attorney. It's clear that family law is not necessarily your strong suit (as far as paralegal).

Wow

Ok. I didn't come here to argue with anyone. I appreciate the first response, but that doesn't answer my question/s. My questions are does anybody have any case law that they could direct me to that mentions anything about step children's needs being considered in child support calculations? As far as I knew step children's needs were not considered in a child support calculation/order, and the following facts were also not considered: his ex wife is voluntarily employed for no good reason and her ex husband pays child support to her. The way it is worded in the decision is that my ex-husband is now solely responsible for the financial needs of these 3 children. I think the Judge got the wrong impression and if he were aware of these facts the decision may have been different. Furthermore, if step children's needs are being considered, than the support that she receives for them and the State benefits should be as well. Am I wrong? These things were not disclosed on their financial affidavit. Only the income from his job and his expenses.

2nd Question: Does anyone know if I should file a Motion for Reconsideration or jump directly to an Appeal to the Supreme Court? It says "the parties should scrutinize the parenting plan and file a Motion for Reconsideration should they disagree with any of the orders regarding holiday visitation or transportation" this refers to the Parenting Plan. But it says the Child Support order is subject to Appeals through the State Supreme Court. So am I wasting my time filing a Motion for Reconsideration regarding the Child Support Order, and should I bring it directly to appeals? Or should I try a Motion to Reconsider first? Technically these are two separate orders.

Blue Meanie. I'm not asking questions about his re-instatement of rights. I don't really care if you find it hard to believe or not. Feel free to PM me and let me know how I can send you a copy of the Judgment if your that concerned. As far as why I went to bed with a bum, that's my problem and not yours to worry about. But I'll tell you this...we all make mistakes and nobody is perfect. I learned my lesson and am now sterilized, because you are correct in your assumptions that my judgment is extremely poor. Therefore I've taken responsibility and made sure it doesn't happen again ;) Regardless of that, there are children here. None of of it gives him a right to purposely work under the table to dodge supporting his child. And both Father's are profoundly disgusting to do everything in their power to avoid paying child support and the lengths they've made me go to to get them to pay less than 1/2 of a weeks rent in my apartment combined between the two of them? Yeah. I usually take every opportunity I can to trash talk them, as long as my kids don't hear it. They both deserve it 100%, and this is only 1/4 of the animosity I deal with on a daily basis from the two of them, so don't be too hasty in your assumptions. They are both pathetic excuses for men.

As for your other question, Lawyers and Paralegals specialize in different fields. Family Law is not my specialty. However, I assume he re-instated his rights because he was visiting with his daughter prior to our Court date as per our verbal agreement; for almost a year. Although it is not my field of practice, Family Law Judges apply decisions based on what is in the best interest of the child. If she was already visiting with her Father per our verbal agreement for almost a year, it would not be in the child's best interest to order that visitations cease. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok. I didn't come here to argue with anyone. I appreciate the first response, but that doesn't answer my question/s. My questions are does anybody have any case law that they could direct me to that mentions anything about step children's needs being considered in child support calculations? As far as I knew step children's needs were not considered in a child support calculation/order, and the following facts were also not considered: his ex wife is voluntarily employed for no good reason and her ex husband pays child support to her. The way it is worded in the decision is that my ex-husband is now solely responsible for the financial needs of these 3 children. I think the Judge got the wrong impression and if he were aware of these facts the decision may have been different. Furthermore, if step children's needs are being considered, than the support that she receives for them and the State benefits should be as well. Am I wrong? These things were not disclosed on their financial affidavit. Only the income from his job and his expenses.

2nd Question: Does anyone know if I should file a Motion for Reconsideration or jump directly to an Appeal to the Supreme Court? It says "the parties should scrutinize the parenting plan and file a Motion for Reconsideration should they disagree with any of the orders regarding holiday visitation or transportation" this refers to the Parenting Plan. But it says the Child Support order is subject to Appeals through the State Supreme Court. So am I wasting my time filing a Motion for Reconsideration regarding the Child Support Order, and should I bring it directly to appeals? Or should I try a Motion to Reconsider first? Technically these are two separate orders.

Blue Meanie. I'm not asking questions about his re-instatement of rights. I don't really care if you find it hard to believe or not. Feel free to PM me and let me know how I can send you a copy of the Judgment if your that concerned. As far as why I went to bed with a bum, that's my problem and not yours to worry about. But I'll tell you this...we all make mistakes and nobody is perfect. I learned my lesson and am now sterilized, because you are correct in your assumptions that my judgment is extremely poor. Therefore I've taken responsibility and made sure it doesn't happen again ;) Regardless of that, there are children here. None of of it gives him a right to purposely work under the table to dodge supporting his child. And both Father's are profoundly disgusting to do everything in their power to avoid paying child support and the lengths they've made me go to to get them to pay less than 1/2 of a weeks rent in my apartment combined between the two of them? Yeah. I usually take every opportunity I can to trash talk them, as long as my kids don't hear it. They both deserve it 100%, and this is only 1/4 of the animosity I deal with on a daily basis from the two of them, so don't be too hasty in your assumptions. They are both pathetic excuses for men.

As for your other question, Lawyers and Paralegals specialize in different fields. Family Law is not my specialty. However, I assume he re-instated his rights because he was visiting with his daughter prior to our Court date as per our verbal agreement; for almost a year. Although it is not my field of practice, Family Law Judges apply decisions based on what is in the best interest of the child. If she was already visiting with her Father per our verbal agreement for almost a year, it would not be in the child's best interest to order that visitations cease. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about that.
The father never lost his parental rights.

Proserpina

Would please read the information provided?

Q4P.

And that's Pro out. You're not worthy of my response.

Without an order, he didn't have to pay you anything.

Well, the statute kind of allows that.

That doesn't mean anything at all to you.

She doesn't have to acknowledge your existence, let alone explain herself to you.

You've seriously got to get rid of the bitterness. What she does is absolutely none of your business.

And you fell for that?!

You can disagree all you like. The statute does allow for certain deviations and situations.

The Supreme Court won't even consider your case until it's gone through the correct sequence.

Take a look here:
Prosperina,

I understand he didn't have to pay without being ordered. He asked me to begin visiting with his daughter again after five years and I agreed, as long as there would be child support payments made. He continued blowing me off so I took him to Court. I understand that he didn't have to pay without an order, hence the reason I sought one. I'm really that off track to be angry and think it's wrong that his income goes toward supporting her children before it does his own? He made the Judge think that he was solely supporting these children. This is NOT the case. Their father pays child support for them to her, and that was not disclosed on the Financial Affidavit that he submitted. Shouldn't child support that she receives be considered INCOME? I really could care less what she does or doesn't do. But when it takes away from our biological child's support, then yes it bothers me. Am I really that crazy to think that is wrong? The reason I brought up my son's situation, is because I didn't realize that other children's financial needs were a part of this case. I thought we were there about OUR daughter. Not my other child OR his step-children. I think you guys are jumping all over me and not understanding where I'm coming from. If there is such a financial need that my ex husband has to support her children and my daughter is only entitled to half of the State's minimum guidelines for child support; shouldn't the fact that she is voluntarily unemployed and receiving child support be considered? Isn't it the father of HER children's responsibility and her responsibility to meet the financial needs for their children? I didn't realize I was so out of line to expect this.

And yes I bought the story that my son's Father could not have children. He was over 50 with no children and always disappointed he was not able to have any. One of his wives and a couple girlfriends left him because he was not able to have children. Because of his age I assumed he was not lying. If he was 20 I would have been skeptical.

Just cause I said I'm a paralegal doesn't mean I know everything. I didn't realize I was going to get attacked or I may not have brought it up. As far as being bitter, I can be very bitter and yes, that is something I need to work on. But why should I be responsible for 95% of these children's needs? I did not make them by myself. I feel like I'm getting rail-roaded because I make good money and the Father's always have some pity story that the Judge accepts.

Non-disclosure of income is not a reason to appeal? On his financial affidavit he listed all the COSTS for housing and sheltering her children and their expenses, but only the income from his job. The child support she receives was not disclosed. You're telling me that's not a good reason to appeal?

Thank you for the information you provided. I'll take a closer look at that.

Silverplum

No, we do not "need to understand" your special situation. No, we did not "jump all over" you.

Prosperina,

I understand he didn't have to pay without being ordered. He asked me to begin visiting with his daughter again after five years and I agreed, as long as there would be child support payments made. He continued blowing me off so I took him to Court. I understand that he didn't have to pay without an order, hence the reason I sought one. I'm really that off track to be angry and think it's wrong that his income goes toward supporting her children before it does his own? He made the Judge think that he was solely supporting these children. This is NOT the case. Their father pays child support for them to her, and that was not disclosed on the Financial Affidavit that he submitted. Shouldn't child support that she receives be considered INCOME? I really could care less what she does or doesn't do. But when it takes away from our biological child's support, then yes it bothers me. Am I really that crazy to think that is wrong? The reason I brought up my son's situation, is because I didn't realize that other children's financial needs were a part of this case. I thought we were there about OUR daughter. Not my other child OR his step-children. I think you guys are jumping all over me and not understanding where I'm coming from. If there is such a financial need that my ex husband has to support her children and my daughter is only entitled to half of the State's minimum guidelines for child support; shouldn't the fact that she is voluntarily unemployed and receiving child support be considered? Isn't it the father of HER children's responsibility and her responsibility to meet the financial needs for their children? I didn't realize I was so out of line to expect this.

And yes I bought the story that my son's Father could not have children. He was over 50 with no children and always disappointed he was not able to have any. One of his wives and a couple girlfriends left him because he was not able to have children. Because of his age I assumed he was not lying. If he was 20 I would have been skeptical.

Just cause I said I'm a paralegal doesn't mean I know everything. I didn't realize I was going to get attacked or I may not have brought it up. As far as being bitter, I can be very bitter and yes, that is something I need to work on. But why should I be responsible for 95% of these children's needs? I did not make them by myself. I feel like I'm getting rail-roaded because I make good money and the Father's always have some pity story that the Judge accepts.

Non-disclosure of income is not a reason to appeal? On his financial affidavit he listed all the COSTS for housing and sheltering her children and their expenses, but only the income from his job. The child support she receives was not disclosed. You're telling me that's not a good reason to appeal?

Thank you for the information you provided. I'll take a closer look at that.

The father never lost his parental rights.
He voluntarily signed off his Parental Rights because he was "not ready" to be a Father, and did not want to pay child support. We did this by agreement. The Judge did not consider it a "Termination of Rights" at the time. So yes, he never "lost" his rights. He more or less waived them. Thank you for clarifying.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He voluntarily signed off his Parental Rights because he was "not ready" to be a Father, and did not want to pay child support. We did this by agreement. The Judge did not consider it a "Termination of Rights" at the time. So yes, he never "lost" his rights. He more or less waived them. Thank you for clarifying.
I don't doubt that you think that's what happened.

In reality, what happened is the father decided that he wasn't going to seek custody or visitation at that time and you decided that you weren't going to seek child support.

No, we do not "need to understand" your special situation. No, we did not "jump all over" you.
People are definitely taking the opportunity to jump all over me for things that are totally unrelated to the questions I asked. Some started making assumptions so I felt the need to clarify. So I guess it's okay for them to not disclose the child support she receives as income and my daughter should get less child support because his income should go to her children first, and I just should just shut up and deal with it. I didn't realize this was a church and I couldn't anonymously "trash talk" someone. There is no identifying information here. There is no rule that says I can't call someone who is purposely dodging child support a bum. I'm not hiring a lawyer, that's why I'm here. I'm doing this myself, I've done a great job and will continue to do so. Thanks for all your help. I see what kind of a forum this is.

Silverplum

People are definitely taking the opportunity to jump all over me for things that are totally unrelated to the questions I asked. Some started making assumptions so I felt the need to clarify. So I guess it's okay for them to not disclose the child support she receives as income and my daughter should get less child support because his income should go to her children first, and I just should just shut up and deal with it. I didn't realize this was a church and I couldn't anonymously "trash talk" someone. There is no identifying information here. There is no rule that says I can't call someone who is purposely dodging child support a bum. I'm not hiring a lawyer, that's why I'm here. I'm doing this myself, I've done a great job and will continue to do so. Thanks for all your help. I see what kind of a forum this is.
Have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">