• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hi I'm new here, I have a quesiton about a business contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JeffNewYork

I have a business deal with a restaurant. So I make an appointment with the owner so he can sign a contract. He ends up not being there, so the brother of the owner, who works there, but I never had any prior dealings with, ends up signing the contract. Is this a binding contract?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have a business deal with a restaurant. So I make an appointment with the owner so he can sign a contract. He ends up not being there, so the brother of the owner, who works there, but I never had any prior dealings with, ends up signing the contract. Is this a binding contract?
It depends.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It certainly seems like apparent authority to me.

If you are really worried, ask the owner to ratify it.
The fact that the OP is questioning it would cast a shadow on the apparent authority assumption. The OP is concerned that the brother doesn't have the authority to sign...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">