• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents Withholding SSN Card from Minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AzatYerkink

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Southern California

Hello,

I have posted this in another forum as well as two opinions are better than one, and have posted it in the Juvenile forum as I couldn't find a forum dedicated to non-benefit related SS issues. I am in a bit of a pickle here. I am 17, roughly 9 months until the big 18. I have finished high school. I have taken refuge from my father's abuse by forcing my mothers hand into allowing me to be taken in by her father. I am also hustling towards gaining employment to start me off on taking responsibility for my own expenses, saving a bit, as well as helping grandfather with his rent when I can.

The problem I'd like assistance with starts from here. My father has my birth certificate, my ssn card, and any other legal documents that I may not be aware of. After almost a year and a half of job searching, I have finally peaked the interest of two hiring managers and have two interviews lined up(one very soon.) One is requesting to see my SSN card in person with my driver's license/ID(no problem, I have that) as I was referred to him by an acquaintance and he may want to hire me ASAP. I believe the second will ask for the same thing if he decides I am the right person for the job.

I haven't spoken to my father in over 4 months, as he cannot be reasoned with and we can not be around each other more than 10 minutes without becoming physically hostile toward each other, therefore I had my mother go take my card from him. They are both refusing to give me my card. Originally I was lied to with "the card is lost, here's your number." I have my SSN number already. I tested my mother and revealed that I was being lied to. I have given her an ultimatum, she will put either my SSN card in my hand tomorrow(not a copy of it, either) or my birth certificate so I can go apply for a replacement. I promised her I will report the both of them to authorities for identity theft and obstruction of employment if that condition is not met.

Now, I'd like to know if I call the local police station and report them, will they just blow me off as a spoiled brat like everybody else seems to do because I am a minor, or do I have a solid case in that they are withholding my own personal documents. I understand my birth certificate belongs to them, but what about my SSN card? What terms would I use to report them? What's I said above or do I just explain my situation? I will not stand for these two hindering(rather damaging) my progression into becoming an independent young man responsible for himself and only himself. At this point I feel it is more manipulation for their selfish agenda, though a rant about happenings between us isn't warranted.

I am in SoCal by the way, in case it was missed in the title.

Please help.

FlyingRon

I hate to break it to you, kid. But you have no RIGHT to a job. You have no right to issue ultimatums to your parents. The police most likely will do exactly what you expect as a result.

Actually, nothing is stopping you from getting a duplicate birth certificate now (presuming you were born in California), info here: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/Birth-2014.pdf

From there you apparently know where to go for the SSN.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As long as you are under 18, your parents have every legal right to hold your birth certificate and SS card; to refuse to give it to you; and to refuse to allow you to get a job. There is nothing to report as they are violating no laws.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Southern California

Hello,

I have posted this in another forum as well as two opinions are better than one, and have posted it in the Juvenile forum as I couldn't find a forum dedicated to non-benefit related SS issues. I am in a bit of a pickle here. I am 17, roughly 9 months until the big 18. I have finished high school. I have taken refuge from my father's abuse by forcing my mothers hand into allowing me to be taken in by her father. I am also hustling towards gaining employment to start me off on taking responsibility for my own expenses, saving a bit, as well as helping grandfather with his rent when I can.

The problem I'd like assistance with starts from here. My father has my birth certificate, my ssn card, and any other legal documents that I may not be aware of. After almost a year and a half of job searching, I have finally peaked the interest of two hiring managers and have two interviews lined up(one very soon.) One is requesting to see my SSN card in person with my driver's license/ID(no problem, I have that) as I was referred to him by an acquaintance and he may want to hire me ASAP. I believe the second will ask for the same thing if he decides I am the right person for the job.

I haven't spoken to my father in over 4 months, as he cannot be reasoned with and we can not be around each other more than 10 minutes without becoming physically hostile toward each other, therefore I had my mother go take my card from him. They are both refusing to give me my card. Originally I was lied to with "the card is lost, here's your number." I have my SSN number already. I tested my mother and revealed that I was being lied to. I have given her an ultimatum, she will put either my SSN card in my hand tomorrow(not a copy of it, either) or my birth certificate so I can go apply for a replacement. I promised her I will report the both of them to authorities for identity theft and obstruction of employment if that condition is not met.

Now, I'd like to know if I call the local police station and report them, will they just blow me off as a spoiled brat like everybody else seems to do because I am a minor, or do I have a solid case in that they are withholding my own personal documents. I understand my birth certificate belongs to them, but what about my SSN card? What terms would I use to report them? What's I said above or do I just explain my situation? I will not stand for these two hindering(rather damaging) my progression into becoming an independent young man responsible for himself and only himself. At this point I feel it is more manipulation for their selfish agenda, though a rant about happenings between us isn't warranted.

I am in SoCal by the way, in case it was missed in the title.

Please help.
Since you have your driver's license, which is a valid form of ID, you should be able to get both a replacement birth certificate and a replacement social security card without a problem. Your threats to your mother are silly and unnecessary.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Watch out, y'all. OP has decided to throw a temper tantrum down the street since he/she/it didn't hear that they were right, Mom and Dad are wrong and should be put into the city center in the stocks. :cool:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
That rant down the street made me want to get really condescending. But I'll jusr let Little One stew in their own juices.

davew128

You have no right to issue ultimatums to your parents.
DIsagree. Kid can issue any ultimatum he wants. Following through legally on the other hand...

I also find it reprehensible that the mother is withholding this stuff. There is literally no justifiable reason to withhold a kid's SS card and birth certificate from him.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
DIsagree. Kid can issue any ultimatum he wants. Following through legally on the other hand...

I also find it reprehensible that the mother is withholding this stuff. There is literally no justifiable reason to withhold a kid's SS card and birth certificate from him.
Here is So-Cal, grandparent could get a copy of the birth cert (likely same-day/over-the-counter) for very small cost. With the driver license and birth cert, a duplicate social security card can be ordered. (This is alluded to by LdiJ above.) We do not know the whole story here, so I, personally, wouldn't go so far as to call this reprehensible.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This OP is not alone in this, but it's typical of teens that they somehow figure that if we only understood how they felt, or understood exactly their circumstances, somehow the law would say something different.

davew128

Here is So-Cal, grandparent could get a copy of the birth cert (likely same-day/over-the-counter) for very small cost. With the driver license and birth cert, a duplicate social security card can be ordered. (This is alluded to by LdiJ above.) We do not know the whole story here, so I, personally, wouldn't go so far as to call this reprehensible.
I know how to get copies of things, I've had to do it. However you're assuming the OP was born near where he/she lives. I personally had to deal with having my birth certificate withheld when I was that age, and it turns out there was a pretty damn selfish reason why it was withheld that was life altering for me. In any event, unless the mother doesn't want her kid working, she doesn't have a moral leg to stand on here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For all we know she doesn't want her kid working. And regardless of whether you, or I, or anyone else, thinks she has a moral right, she does have a legal right. And Legal is what we answer here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I know how to get copies of things, I've had to do it. However you're assuming the OP was born near where he/she lives.
You're right about my assumptions.

I personally had to deal with having my birth certificate withheld when I was that age, and it turns out there was a pretty damn selfish reason why it was withheld that was life altering for me. In any event, unless the mother doesn't want her kid working, she doesn't have a moral leg to stand on here.
As has been pointed out, that doesn't matter from a legal standpoint. The piece(s) of paper belong to the parent, not the child.

davew128

For all we know she doesn't want her kid working. And regardless of whether you, or I, or anyone else, thinks she has a moral right, she does have a legal right. And Legal is what we answer here.
Right. Because NOBODY on here has ever chimed in with their own personal beliefs on things. I'd refer you to the 22 year old hooking up with the 17 year old thread, but that one would be low hanging fruit. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">