• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got cheated by my business partner and now he is suing me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Docomo

My business partner sets up a company and i helped him out in the business.

There is a written contract that gives me 40% of the shares and 50% split. But from last year he stop giving me the profit split. After one year, I am fed up and said I want to leave the company. As of now he already owe me 20k in profit. When i left the company, I said I won't be chasing back the money.

I went ahead and completed other projects and billed the clients. Now my partner wants to sue me saying I have stolen the client and business, saying that the client was secured during the time when i was in the company, and there are email records. I told him if he returned the 20k, i will split the current project profit with him.

Problem is the written contract is not valid,as the company name was not even registered. The company name in the contract is different from the company name he was operating. Meaning that contract is worthless, at most an evidence of how he is trying to con me from the start.

Now I even let him billed the projects via his company, I have completed the projects and have even paid for all the costs. Now I have nothing left. And he still wanna sue me.

I was not shown the business history. I have never even seen the accounts. He said he will let me see it but he keeps postponing. Due to the stress, I have lost 20kg in 1 year, and have fever every month. I am having a fever as I typed this. I only have the fake contract he gave me.

What should I do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My business partner sets up a company and i helped him out in the business.

There is a written contract that gives me 40% of the shares and 50% split. But from last year he stop giving me the profit split. After one year, I am fed up and said I want to leave the company. As of now he already owe me 20k in profit. When i left the company, I said I won't be chasing back the money.

I went ahead and completed other projects and billed the clients. Now my partner wants to sue me saying I have stolen the client and business, saying that the client was secured during the time when i was in the company, and there are email records. I told him if he returned the 20k, i will split the current project profit with him.

Problem is the written contract is not valid,as the company name was not even registered. The company name in the contract is different from the company name he was operating. Meaning that contract is worthless, at most an evidence of how he is trying to con me from the start.

Now I even let him billed the projects via his company, I have completed the projects and have even paid for all the costs. Now I have nothing left. And he still wanna sue me.

I was not shown the business history. I have never even seen the accounts. He said he will let me see it but he keeps postponing. Due to the stress, I have lost 20kg in 1 year, and have fever every month. I am having a fever as I typed this. I only have the fake contract he gave me.

What should I do?
Sorry, this forum is for US law only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">