• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I demand cease of distribution if the publisher did not pay for ads design?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wtcelesta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

A person who publishes take-out menus for restaurants with local business ads hired me to design several menus and ads for him, published the menus and has not paid me for the design work. I plan to sue in the local small claims court. A question, though: can I demand cease of distribution of the menus that I made until he pays me? This way all the owners of the restaurants involved will be after him as well to settle the debt. Is it possible? If yes, what is the legal process to request it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

A person who publishes take-out menus for restaurants with local business ads hired me to design several menus and ads for him, published the menus and has not paid me for the design work. I plan to sue in the local small claims court. A question, though: can I demand cease of distribution of the menus that I made until he pays me? This way all the owners of the restaurants involved will be after him as well to settle the debt. Is it possible? If yes, what is the legal process to request it?
The non-sarcastic answer is no, just sue the guy.

quincy

You could go to court for an injunction, to prevent further distribution of the menus - but you will need to show the court that there is no other remedy available to you (e.g., suing him for the amount owed) and irreparable injury will result if the injunction is not granted.

quincy

Thank you for responses. Will just have to sue him.
You could have an attorney send him a demand letter first, advising the publisher that legal action is being considered if you do not receive what is owed you for the work completed. That might encourage him to pay and it would eliminate for you the need to take the matter to court.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">