• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice... HELP!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pchao

Hello everyone! Let me outline my situation first. I let a friend borrow mone in November 2011. He agreed to start paying me back in 2012. Since then I've only been able to collect $100 from him 2013. He has ignored my text and calls. It was an oral agreement and I know in califorinia there is a two year statuate of limitations. My question is... does the statuate start from when he last paid me? Can I still bring him to court?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello everyone! Let me outline my situation first. I let a friend borrow mone in November 2011. He agreed to start paying me back in 2012. Since then I've only been able to collect $100 from him 2013. He has ignored my text and calls. It was an oral agreement and I know in califorinia there is a two year statuate of limitations. My question is... does the statuate start from when he last paid me? Can I still bring him to court?
Generally, the time starts running from the last payment. How much money does he owe you? Please remember that, even if you win, it's still your job to collect the money.

TigerD

1. How much money does he owe you?
2. Do you have any proof of the loan?
3. Do you have proof of the payment?

DC

Pchao

1. How much money does he owe you?
2. Do you have any proof of the loan?
3. Do you have proof of the payment?

DC
He owes me $3000.00, and the loan was given in cash. But I do have a recording of or argument although it didnt state the amount. I am also in the process of sending him a ntarized demand letter outlining the loan amount.

single317dad

He owes me $3000.00, and the loan was given in cash. But I do have a recording of or argument although it didnt state the amount. I am also in the process of sending him a ntarized demand letter outlining the loan amount.
Did you have the other party's consent to record that conversation? Did the conversation take place in California?

single317dad

No he didnt know it was recorded. I also sent him emails too. and yes it did take place in california
You likely violated California P.C. 631 by recording a conversation without the consent of all parties:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=630-638

At any rate, the recording will not be admissible as evidence.

Unless you can get him to admit to receiving the loan and agreeing to terms of repayment in writing (or in open court), you're going to have a hard time proving anything.

TigerD

Before you continue you need to face an unpleasant truth: Even if you win, you are probably never going to collect a dime.
You need to decide how much good money you are willing to toss after that bad money.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">