• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evicting Roommate in Owned House in Iowa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cyfan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Iowa

I own a home. I currently have a roommate that has been very hard to live with. There is no lease and she pays 1/3 of all bills. Unfortunately, those payments are consistently late. We are supposed to pay the bills as they're due, so there's no set monthly amount, just 1/3 of whatever bill is due. Since I own the home, can I give that person a 30 (or less) day notice to quit? We've lived her since May and it's gotten to the point where she thinks she owns the place and yet does nothing to maintain the home.

STEPHAN

Yes, give her a 30 day notice.

And in future make clear agreements in writing about payments.

cyfan

Yes, give her a 30 day notice.

And in future make clear agreements in writing about payments.
Thank you, I will definitely do that. If for some reason she decides not to move out and needs to be formally evicted, is there any chance a judge would rule in that person's favor considering that it's my house and is technically on a month-to-month lease? Also do evictions incur court costs?

FarmerJ

If she does not leave by the end of proper notice in writing telling her to move out then you will have to use the courts to ask them to order her to get out ( bad choice for her since then she will have a civil court record that can be searched by other landlords and used as reason to refuse to rent to her in the future) if you have to use the courts to get her out for not leaving with proper notice then its not about money and normally you just live with the cost of taking tenant to court as cost of doing business. NOW if you had to sue her for unpaid utilities or other damages then yes add that filings court cost on. A Judge is not likely to show any special favor to her , the Judge will follow your states laws just as you must as a landlord too. BTW go get your self a post office box and use that as your return address so that way she cant tamper with mail when you send certified letter to her for proper notice to get out, if she refused to sign for it or go pick it up it will be returned to you and you must keep it sealed in orig envelope for court if you must use the courts.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">