• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid property taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalese

Florida.

My cousin who lives in Fl just told me that my uncle Tony, (88 years old and has some dementia, who also lives in Fl has not paid property taxes in 3 years on both of his homes (He lives in one of those homes) He was living with some people who took advantage of him. Now they are both out of the house, one is in jail on drug selling charges, the other no one knows where she is. My uncle had them pay his bills and would not listen to us because he trusted them.

A man paid his back taxes totaling about $10.000 and will force sell his homes in a few months and keep all of the money, My uncle will have to leave. I guess this man does this for profit as a business.

Here is my question, Is that legal? It seems odd that he can take my uncle's homes for so little money and my uncle had his taxes paid for many years. Is there anything my uncle can do to keep his homes? any advice would be helpful.

legalese

LdiJ

Florida.

My cousin who lives in Fl just told me that my uncle Tony, (88 years old and has some dementia, who also lives in Fl has not paid property taxes in 3 years on both of his homes (He lives in one of those homes) He was living with some people who took advantage of him. Now they are both out of the house, one is in jail on drug selling charges, the other no one knows where she is. My uncle had them pay his bills and would not listen to us because he trusted them.

A man paid his back taxes totaling about $10.000 and will force sell his homes in a few months and keep all of the money, My uncle will have to leave. I guess this man does this for profit as a business.

Here is my question, Is that legal? It seems odd that he can take my uncle's homes for so little money and my uncle had his taxes paid for many years. Is there anything my uncle can do to keep his homes? any advice would be helpful.

legalese
Yes, there is something that your Uncle can do, he can redeem the homes for the amount that the buyer paid. See a real estate attorney ASAP.

However, yes, it is legal to buy homes at tax sales.

single317dad

The county or taxing agent would have sent several notices of delinquency to the property owner before also posting notice in a public forum (local newspaper) of the tax sale. They also will provide/have provided information on redemption period and method. Redemption periods vary but one year is pretty standard.

Usually, each property is treated separately (e.g., if the house your uncle lives in only had $4000 tax due, then he could redeem only that property by reimbursing the buyer the amount plus penalty. Here that penalty is 10%.)

Once the redemption period expires, the buyer will go to court for an order for a new deed. After that, he may evict your uncle legally.

legalese

Thanks, I told my cousin in Florida your advice. Hopefully we can help Uncle Tony out. The saddest part of this, My uncle borrowed money from another cousin. Paulo, in Italy to buy these houses. I have a feeling Paulo lost his money.

legalese

justalayman

Thanks, I told my cousin in Florida your advice. Hopefully we can help Uncle Tony out. The saddest part of this, My uncle borrowed money from another cousin. Paulo, in Italy to buy these houses. I have a feeling Paulo lost his money.

legalese
maybe Paulo can hire cousins Vinny and Vito to convince Uncle Tony it would be in his best interest to pay Paulo what is owed to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">