• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income Tax - Moved to OH from WV but didn't change my state at my work place

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thezecharon

As the title says, I moved from West Virginia to Ohio this past year. I forgot to change where I'm a resident at for my paychecks at work. I'm afraid I've paid too much tax to West Virginia and nothing to Ohio. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what I should do about it now and what I can expect to happen.

Thanks!

LdiJ

As the title says, I moved from West Virginia to Ohio this past year. I forgot to change where I'm a resident at for my paychecks at work. I'm afraid I've paid too much tax to West Virginia and nothing to Ohio. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what I should do about it now and what I can expect to happen.

Thanks!
You will do a part year return for Ohio that will show that you owe lots of tax because you had no withholding. You will do a part year return for WV that will give you a big refund because you had too much withholding. Hopefully the refund from WV will be enough to cover your tax for OH.

OHRoadwarrior

OH institutes a penalty if you underpay by more than I believe 10%. The good news is they have first year forgiveness, so you will not be penalized unless they changed the law in the past few years.

LdiJ

OH institutes a penalty if you underpay by more than I believe 10%. The good news is they have first year forgiveness, so you will not be penalized unless they changed the law in the past few years.
In general states are pretty forgiving about part year returns...as long as payments are prompt. This is by no means an unusual situation, its actually quite common.

However, in this instance it would behoove the OP to NOT be one of those people who waits until April 14th to file their taxes. The earlier he files his tax returns the better. That way he has time to get his refund from WV long before the deadline to pay OH.

davew128

I'm surprised nobody bothered to ask the most important question: WHAT STATE ARE YOU WORKING IN? Residency isn't the only issue here, I'm not at all convinced anything has changed. The states do border after all.

Not to mention there is reciprocity in those states....

thezecharon

I'm surprised nobody bothered to ask the most important question: WHAT STATE ARE YOU WORKING IN? Residency isn't the only issue here, I'm not at all convinced anything has changed. The states do border after all.

Not to mention there is reciprocity in those states....

Thanks for all the responses. I'm working in West Virginia currently. I moved to Ohio in June of this past year.

davew128

I would hire a local professional to coordinate the part year returns for both states and set up withholding going forward. WV won't tax you on the wages earned there after you moved to OH but OH will tax you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">