• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

QDRO separation without my knowledge? Legal? Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torakki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA. I've been going through a qdro division for quite some time. My ex changed the percentages on two retirment accounts so she could try and get a few extra thousand of mine, and refused to correct them. So I didn't agree or sign the court papers for the division. Today, I look at my retirement account and it is $0.0. She was entitle to about 12% or about $7000. $62,000 is missing. Can this really happen? What can I do?
Thanks for anything

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA. I've been going through a qdro division for quite some time. My ex changed the percentages on two retirment accounts so she could try and get a few extra thousand of mine, and refused to correct them. So I didn't agree or sign the court papers for the division. Today, I look at my retirement account and it is $0.0. She was entitle to about 12% or about $7000. $62,000 is missing. Can this really happen? What can I do?
Thanks for anything
Contact the folks that hold the retirement account and ask where the money went.

Bali Hai

Thanks for anything
What does your divorce decree say about the division of retirement accounts?

If what you state is correct, you can file a motion with the court to show cause. If the court finds her in contempt, ask that your attorney fees for this action be paid by her also.

Torakki

Yes, I tried calling last night but it was after hours. I'm sure it was my ex convinced the commissioner to give her the entire amount since I would not agree to her terms. The divorce, from day one, my ex has been falsifying documents, lying on our marriage license, her immigration papers (she's from China) and I've spent tens of thousands fighting this and she has convinced the commissioner that I am delaying the case.
Is there a way to get my retirement funds returned?
Thanks for the response....

Torakki

Thanks Bali Hai. Just saw your post. I do have a court paper that shows the correct percentages scribbled out and new percentages hand written in. I will do more research after work today...

Bali Hai

Yes, I tried calling last night but it was after hours. I'm sure it was my ex convinced the commissioner to give her the entire amount since I would not agree to her terms. The divorce, from day one, my ex has been falsifying documents, lying on our marriage license, her immigration papers (she's from China) and I've spent tens of thousands fighting this and she has convinced the commissioner that I am delaying the case.
Is there a way to get my retirement funds returned?
Thanks for the response....
Even if you get a judgement against her, there is no guarantee that you will collect, especially if she ends up in China with the funds.

Torakki

OK, the mystery is solved. My 401K account was transferred to a different company. I did not receive any mail or communication on this. But, it was due to my former company requesting this and not my ex. Whew!! I thought, for sure it was her since i went to the court website and saw this message on the case about the same time the money went missing: AMENDED DIVISION OF DEFERRED COMPENSATION BENEFITS AND QDRO SENT TO D-20 FOR APPROVAL. SJ -- RET'D UNSIGNED; NOTE ATTACHED 1/13/2015/KM
Do you think this could mean that she decided to fix the percentages? Or do something evil and underhanded?
Thanks for the feedback and sorry for jumping the gun. (past history convinced me).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">