• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to obtain reliable legal advice without spending a fortune?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jegg

Hello, I'm launching a website this month, but I have specific technical questions I need reliable legal advice for. My website deals with photographs and my questions are regarding Creative Commons licensing, the rights I have to resell, and various other small but specific questions. I'm based in Canada and need help finding affordable, reliable answers.

My budget is $100 per hour maximum. I fear though that I won't get all my questions answered in time - perhaps they drag out the phone call or something, and I'm stuck with only a fraction of the answers I need. Please let me know how I should approach finding reliable legal answers for copyright/licensing/online business legal issues, for someone located in Canada hoping to launch a website internationally.. If not for Canada, then anything!

Thank you so much

quincy

Hello, I'm launching a website this month, but I have specific technical questions I need reliable legal advice for. My website deals with photographs and my questions are regarding Creative Commons licensing, the rights I have to resell, and various other small but specific questions. I'm based in Canada and need help finding affordable, reliable answers.

My budget is $100 per hour maximum. I fear though that I won't get all my questions answered in time - perhaps they drag out the phone call or something, and I'm stuck with only a fraction of the answers I need. Please let me know how I should approach finding reliable legal answers for copyright/licensing/online business legal issues, for someone located in Canada hoping to launch a website internationally.. If not for Canada, then anything!

Thank you so much
I'm sorry, jegg, but FreeAdvice handles US law questions only. You will need to seek assistance in your area of Canada because it will be those laws that will apply to you and your website.

Good luck.

jegg

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm also open to any suggestions of where to find lawyers... I've found oDesk, eLance and other freelance websites, but they don't seem to offer large selection. Any ideas for directories I can search into?

If you'd rather I go elsewhere however, I'll find Canadian forums.

Thanks

quincy

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm also open to any suggestions of where to find lawyers... I've found oDesk, eLance and other freelance websites, but they don't seem to offer large selection. Any ideas for directories I can search into?

If you'd rather I go elsewhere however, I'll find Canadian forums.

Thanks
You will want to locate a Canadian forum or a Canadian lawyer to help you with your website concerns. It is not that I want you to go elsewhere, it is just that copyright laws, while similar in many ways between the US and Canada, are just enough different that what is offered here will not (necessarily) apply to you.

You can try the Canadian Bar Association, perhaps, at http://www.cba.org.

Good luck.

TigerD

Just to add to Quincy's wise advice - if a lawyer is trolling an internet forum for clients, you probably don't want him,

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">