• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

involvement of family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kapeed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

i and my wife have had a good marriage for over 10 years. But, she and I are very uncomfortable with each other's side of families. She has a lot of family that lives within 30 minutes of our home while my family is much farther away. I have suggested to my wife to not bring her family in our house. But, her family still came in couple of weeks ago. Can I legally tell my wife's family to not trespass into our house. House belongs to both me and my wife.

LdiJ

i and my wife have had a good marriage for over 10 years. But, she and I are very uncomfortable with each other's side of families. She has a lot of family that lives within 30 minutes of our home while my family is much farther away. I have suggested to my wife to not bring her family in our house. But, her family still came in couple of weeks ago. Can I legally tell my wife's family to not trespass into our house. House belongs to both me and my wife.
No, its her house too and she has the right to have guests.

Why would you even want to put your wife in that kind of position anyway? I realize that you haven't shared why you are uncomfortable with her family but do you expect her to honestly be that rude to her own family?

Eekamouse

You are not in a good marriage if you can't find a way to tolerate her family when they visit. You can't expect them not to visit from time to time.

kapeed

i should elaborate that her family has been coming over for 10 years now. But, my family wanted to move closer to our house after 10 long years. And my wife and her family raised concern that why my family is moving closer. So, to keep things even, I have actually suggested both families to stay away moving forward.

CdwJava

i should elaborate that her family has been coming over for 10 years now. But, my family wanted to move closer to our house after 10 long years. And my wife and her family raised concern that why my family is moving closer. So, to keep things even, I have actually suggested both families to stay away moving forward.
As long as one of you permits them to come over, they can come over. If you and your wife cannot agree on this, maybe it's time to re-evaluate the relationship ... or, you simply agree to let it happen without complaint. Your call.

I think we all have family that we would prefer not visit, but, we tolerate them for sake of ... well, family.

kapeed

As long as one of you permits them to come over, they can come over. If you and your wife cannot agree on this, maybe it's time to re-evaluate the relationship ... or, you simply agree to let it happen without complaint. Your call.

I think we all have family that we would prefer not visit, but, we tolerate them for sake of ... well, family.
Is that a legal perspective or an emotional one. I agree on the emotional one. Thats why, I have lived with them 3 days/week over the last 10 years. But, water has gone over the head. So, want to know the legal perspective. My wife called on cops few months ago and made my parents leave the house in the middle of the night.

CdwJava

Is that a legal perspective or an emotional one. I agree on the emotional one.
Both. It's not trespassing if you have permission. If your wife gives them permission to come over, they cannot be trespassing. Similarly, if your family comes over and you give them permission to stay, they are not trespassing. However, if the party granting permission is not there, then they may be forced to leave.

Thats why, I have lived with them 3 days/week over the last 10 years. But, water has gone over the head. So, want to know the legal perspective. My wife called on cops few months ago and made my parents leave the house in the middle of the night.
If you let them stay, they are not trespassing. If you are not there, then they would have to leave.

Trespassing involves the UNLAWFUL entry onto property and remaining on or in property when asked to leave. It is not unlawful if they have permission to be there from someone who lives there.

Is this a hill to die on for your marriage?

Proserpina

Is that a legal perspective or an emotional one. I agree on the emotional one. Thats why, I have lived with them 3 days/week over the last 10 years. But, water has gone over the head. So, want to know the legal perspective. My wife called on cops few months ago and made my parents leave the house in the middle of the night.

Legally your wife can invite anyone she wants into her home.

Legally you can invite anyone into your home.

Neither of you needs permission from the other.

This isn't really difficult to grasp.

LdiJ

The legal perspective is that its her house too and she is legally allowed to have any guests that she likes, just as you do. What did your family do to get your wife to get so upset in the middle of the night?

Proserpina

The legal perspective is that its her house too and she is legally allowed to have any guests that she likes, just as you do. What did your family do to get your wife to get so upset in the middle of the night?
I suspect there's a strong element of cultural differences at play here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">