• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inappropriate content on phone.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

superx236

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Last week (March 24), I mistakenly went into the wrong bathroom in a building that I was not familiar with at my college. I don't remember exactly, but my phone may have been on the ground. However, a few girls were concerned that I was "taking pictures/videos" of them in the women's bathroom. This is not true. However, the cops on campus did interview me the same day and said that they were doing an investigation. I voluntarily gave them my electronic devices and when I asked if I was able to use them two hours later, they gave everything back to me, but told me that the case was "far from done".

Like it has been more than a week now and I still have not been contacted by the campus police. When will they contact me about their investigation? And what will most likely happen? According to many peers, just being in the women's bathroom mistakenly is a criminal offense known as "loitering".

racer72

Last week (March 24), I mistakenly went into the wrong bathroom in a building that I was not familiar with at my college. I don't remember exactly, but my phone may have been on the ground. However, a few girls were concerned that I was "taking pictures/videos" of them in the women's bathroom. This is not true. However, the cops on campus did interview me the same day and said that they were doing an investigation. I voluntarily gave them my electronic devices and when I asked if I was able to use them two hours later, they gave everything back to me, but told me that the case was "far from done".

Like it has been more than a week now and I still have not been contacted by the campus police. When will they contact me about their investigation? And what will most likely happen? According to many peers, just being in the women's bathroom mistakenly is a criminal offense known as "loitering".
You gave them your electronic devices without a warrant? Not real bright. You need an attorney, like about a week ago.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

How, exactly, does one's phone end up on the floor of the bathroom?

CdwJava

You might still find yourself charged with a crime (a misdemeanor) somewhere down the road. If there were no inappropriate photos on your phone of your time in the bathroom, then you have nothing to worry about with regards to taking illicit photos. But, I doubt that anyone is going to buy a claim that you were accidentally in a woman's bathroom and then happened to drop your phone on the floor into such a position that it could date images or videos of women in other stalls or elsewhere in the room. Consider yourself lucky that you will probably not be charged with any serious offense (maybe not with any crime at all), and (assuming this was intentional - as I believe it was) start acting like a mature and responsible adult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">