• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractors not completing work and now in jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baird12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I contracted for my basement bathroom to be completed as well as drywall for the entire basement. The initial person I contracted then sub-contracted out the drywall. Most of the drywall is hung. I was then asked to pay forward the finishing part ahead of time for the amount of $600 and material $150. I paid this to the initial contracted person who stated he would pay the drywall person. Both parties have not completed work as stated and now the initial person is in jail. I would like to utilize someone different and would like to have the $750 I paid ahead time returned as that work has not been started. I have equipment left in my house by both parties. Am I able to hold on to the equipment until I receive my money back for the services not started?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I contracted for my basement bathroom to be completed as well as drywall for the entire basement. The initial person I contracted then sub-contracted out the drywall. Most of the drywall is hung. I was then asked to pay forward the finishing part ahead of time for the amount of $600 and material $150. I paid this to the initial contracted person who stated he would pay the drywall person. Both parties have not completed work as stated and now the initial person is in jail. I would like to utilize someone different and would like to have the $750 I paid ahead time returned as that work has not been started. I have equipment left in my house by both parties. Am I able to hold on to the equipment until I receive my money back for the services not started?
No, you can't hold the equipment hostage. You should ask the contractor to make arrangements to have the work finished, as agreed.

baird12

No, you can't hold the equipment hostage. You should ask the contractor to make arrangements to have the work finished, as agreed.
If I would like to use someone else to finish my basement, am I entitled to have the money I paid in advanced returned?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If I would like to use someone else to finish my basement, am I entitled to have the money I paid in advanced returned?
You need to give the current contractor a reasonable opportunity to remedy this matter.

quincy

What does your contract say about inability of contractor to finish work? Is there a time frame within which the work was to be completed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">