• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

should i add helper to llc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pastrygal007

just formed a sole llc a wk ago. I am starting a bakery but for now i am working out of a commercial kitchen and selling at farmers markets/fairs/etc. My question is, my fiance has a full time job, but will be helping me on weekends to sell my Goods. He is involved in the process, w/o getting into personal issues he is very opinionated about certain aspects and i am not sure whether to make him a member at 1%, employee, or can he just simply just volunteer his time? For the first yr i was thinking it might be a good idea to stay 1 member to see if this venture is even profitable.Thank you for your time.

LdiJ

just formed a sole llc a wk ago. I am starting a bakery but for now i am working out of a commercial kitchen and selling at farmers markets/fairs/etc. My question is, my fiance has a full time job, but will be helping me on weekends to sell my Goods. He is involved in the process, w/o getting into personal issues he is very opinionated about certain aspects and i am not sure whether to make him a member at 1%, employee, or can he just simply just volunteer his time? For the first yr i was thinking it might be a good idea to stay 1 member to see if this venture is even profitable.Thank you for your time.
If it were me, I would treat him as an employee. Making a boyfriend or girlfriend a part owner of a business is generally not a wise idea.

pastrygal007

If it were me, I would treat him as an employee. Making a boyfriend or girlfriend a part owner of a business is generally not a wise idea.
Thanks LdiJ. I can agree With that. But being a new company, wouldnt employee paperwork/taxes be more troublesome? I intend on one day having some, but guess a fear of getting in over my head witj something i am unfamiliar with.

pastrygal007

Thanks LdiJ. I can agree With that. But being a new company, wouldnt employee paperwork/taxes be more troublesome? I intend on one day having some, but guess a fear of getting in over my head witj something i am unfamiliar with.

I'mTheFather

Then either get married now, or refuse his help. Suppose you break up. Would you really want to be part owner with a former boyfriend?

In which state is this?

quincy

Here are two links to information that you may find helpful as you move forward with your bakery.

One is from FindLaw on what you need to watch out for once you become married if your fiancé (then husband) continues to volunteer his time to assist you on weekends. The other is from the US Department of Labor on independent contractors.

http://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/incorporation-and-legal-structures/your-sole-proprietorship-and-your-spouse.html

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/docs/contractors.asp

Echoing I'mTheFather's question, what is the name of your state?

pastrygal007

Then either get married now, or refuse his help. Suppose you break up. Would you really want to be part owner with a former boyfriend?

In which state is this?
thanks I'mThefather. I do not want to refuse his help As i do want him to be apart of this journey with me. He is the one who inspired me to get this tjing going. I have thought about the what ifs, and although i cannot predict the future i would like to think, w/o being too naive, if things went south that as far as the biz is concerned he would not make a stink. I am on board w/not making a member. Volunteering sure.

pastrygal007

Again, what state?

You may run into problems allowing your boyfriend to volunteer in a for-profit business.
Thanks. this is in Missouri, KC
i thought for profit might have a grey area allow volunteering given that it is only me, how would anyone know? Thanks for clarifying. I guess there is no beating an "easy" first year in regards to paperwork and taxes. If i wanna be legit, i have to do things proper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">