• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how many people to a bedroom?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalese

Connecticut

How many people can you have in a bedroom? Years ago I heard it was two people per bedroom depending on square foot.

Question 2. Can I turn someone down, wanting to rent, if their income I feel is too low for the apt? Example let's say someone makes $ 20.000 a year but just the rent alone will be over half that, not to mention all other expenses.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My advice to you hasn't changed from 3 years ago: https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/security-deposit-quick-question-579707.html#post3054218

...Based on your other threads, I would seriously suggest that you hire a professional property manager.

legalese

My advice to you hasn't changed from 3 years ago: https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/security-deposit-quick-question-579707.html#post3054218

I already know just want to make sure. Maybe someone else will confirm it.

Last edited:

legalese

No, you misunderstand, I meant I know the answer to my question, but years have passed so i wanted to make sure I was correct. I found what I needed on the net,without your help. Since you replied again I will answer you. We only have two places that we rent, we sold everything else. it's not worth it to hire a property manager, that is what the forum is for, to answer quick questions, but you don't get that. Yeah, I will hire a property manager at $30.000 a year and make half that in rent. In a few years I will be broke. Great advice.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, you misunderstand, I meant I know the answer to my question, but years have passed so i wanted to make sure I was correct. I found what I needed on the net,without your help. Since you replied again I will answer you. We only have two places that we rent, we sold everything else. it's not worth it to hire a property manager, that what the forum is for, to answer quick questions, but you don't get that. Yeah, I will hire a property manager at $30.000 a year and make half that in rent. In a few years I will be broke. Great advice.
Find a manager that takes a percentage of the rent. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You are very closed minded...anything we say here won't matter, so it's a waste of our time to even bother replying to you.

Good day.

legalese

Find a manager that takes a percentage of the rent. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You are very closed minded...anything we say here won't matter, so it's a waste of our time to even bother replying to you.

Good day.
I told a friend about this site and he asked a question on another section. He got a sarcastic reply which of course did not help
and he never came back. What is the point of a forum if you won't or can't answer a quick question, I was not looking for 100 answers just a small one that's all. I am the property manager, that has some questions, No sarcasm meant but i don't think I was asking much.

DeenaCA

How many people can you have in a bedroom? Years ago I heard it was two people per bedroom depending on square foot.
Here's the HUD guidance on occupancy standards, known as the "Keating memo:" http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/library/occupancystds.pdf. 2 per bedroom is usually (but not always) the MINIMUM a housing provider must allow to avoid charges of familial status discrimination. So a landlord could place a limit of 4 occupants on a 2-bedroom dwelling unit and that would be legal. But it would be illegal if the limit were "no more than 2 children" or if children of opposite genders were required to have separate bedrooms.

Silverplum

Here's the HUD guidance on occupancy standards, known as the "Keating memo:" http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/library/occupancystds.pdf. 2 per bedroom is usually (but not always) the MINIMUM a housing provider must allow to avoid charges of familial status discrimination. So a landlord could place a limit of 4 occupants on a 2-bedroom dwelling unit and that would be legal. But it would be illegal if the limit were "no more than 2 children" or if children of opposite genders were required to have separate bedrooms.
That applies to HUD housing: it's not enforceable to all rentals across the US. Cities and counties make their own standards, and those are the laws a private landlord must follow.

Silverplum

I told a friend about this site and he asked a question on another section. He got a sarcastic reply which of course did not help
and he never came back. What is the point of a forum if you won't or can't answer a quick question, I was not looking for 100 answers just a small one that's all. I am the property manager, that has some questions, No sarcasm meant but i don't think I was asking much.
How many times and in how many "different" ways do you expect the volunteers to answer the same questions from the same poster (you)?

If you don't like the posters here, feel free to hire an attorney. Don't expect a lack of sarcasm or to be hugged, or anything.

:cool:

DeenaCA

That applies to HUD housing: it's not enforceable to all rentals across the US. Cities and counties make their own standards, and those are the laws a private landlord must follow.
Just to clarify, the Keating memo applies to all housing covered under the federal Fair Housing Act - including private-market rental housing. Only certain small-time landlords are exempted under the Fair Housing Act (those renting no more than 3 single-family homes or no more than one owner-occupied multifamily building of up to 4 units). The Keating memo is applicable nationally to all other rentals as it discusses enforcement of the Fair Housing Act.

It's illegal for ANY landlord (except the exempt ones) to discriminate against families with children, which is the usual purpose of occupancy limits. As the memo explains, a housing provider can impose overall occupancy limits based on bedroom size, but not based upon the ages or genders of those occupants.

State and local occupancy limits are addressed in the Keating memo and will generally be considered reasonable. Those city/county/state limits usually impose a MAXIMUM occupancy limit, while the Keating memo addresses a MINIMUM number. I've never seen a local ordinance limiting occupancy to less than 2 persons per bedroom, which is the minimum discussed in the memo.

Silverplum

Just to clarify, the Keating memo applies to all housing covered under the federal Fair Housing Act - including private-market rental housing. Only certain small-time landlords are exempted under the Fair Housing Act (those renting no more than 3 single-family homes or no more than one owner-occupied multifamily building of up to 4 units). The Keating memo is applicable nationally to all other rentals as it discusses enforcement of the Fair Housing Act.

It's illegal for ANY landlord (except the exempt ones) to discriminate against families with children, which is the usual purpose of occupancy limits. As the memo explains, a housing provider can impose overall occupancy limits based on bedroom size, but not based upon the ages or genders of those occupants.

State and local occupancy limits are addressed in the Keating memo and will generally be considered reasonable. Those city/county/state limits usually impose a MAXIMUM occupancy limit, while the Keating memo addresses a MINIMUM number. I've never seen a local ordinance limiting occupancy to less than 2 persons per bedroom, which is the minimum discussed in the memo.
I disagree with the bolded. I think it's much more for SAFETY than to "discriminate." And the poster has only 2 rentals.

But everyone has their opinions, me especially. :cool:

davew128

I disagree with the bolded. I think it's much more for SAFETY than to "discriminate." And the poster has only 2 rentals.
Yup. More directly, at least around here, leases tend to be along the lines of 1 + number of bedrooms for maximum occupancy. Realistically the living situation would get VERY crowded beyond that.

legalese

Yeah like I said I knew the answer but was not sure, things might have changed, Thanks that is what I needed. BTW it's not for discrimination, we take everyone,no lie. The person looking at a 2 bedroom has 4 kids. Putting 4 kids in one bedroom not sure if that is even legal, but that is what I needed. Thanks again.

OK-LL

The correct answer will come from your local municipal code -- it sets a limit on the number of occupants based on number of bedrooms, but also restricts number of total occupants based on square footage of unit, living room area, bedroom SF per person, bathroom location, etc. You'll be surprised when you find and read them how many factors must be taken into account when you establish your occupancy levels.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">