• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are unemployment benefits considered a "legal claim" or "employment law claim"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

startingover1

Are unemployment benefits considered a "legal claim" or "employment law claim"?

My state is Florida.

Are unemployment benefits considered a "legal claim" or "employment law claim"? I have a severance agreement and want to make sure signing it does not mean I'm agreeing not to file unemployment if I need it after my severance. In the agreement I am releasing them from any future "legal claim" or "employment law claim".

It also states that I am releasing my former employer from "any and all claims arising out of the employee's employment or separation from that employment". This sounds like it may included unemployment claims. Does it?

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it does not. That is standard boilerplate language and does NOT prevent you from filing for unemployment.

startingover1

So I'm trying this again because the last reply didn't go through for some reason.

cbg, thanks for your prompt reply. Greatly appreciated.

I would like to see if I can't negotiate my severance to cover a few more weeks and also to ensure a good recommendation that is reflective of my previous years of good service and not my recent problems with the new boss. The reason for my termination is ostensibly "downsizing" the department, but we all know full well that they are getting rid of the highest paid and least passive employee. New boss tried to set me up a couple times to take the fall for situations I shouldn't have been involved with in the first place (I think because he wanted to get me fired instead of a more beneficial resolution to me like this) and I was able to document those situations so it was clear I was not to blame, which he was not happy about. Because of this I don't necessarily trust him to give me the rec I deserve based on years he knows nothing about. I'd like it in writing in the agreement if possible. I've read other places online that this is achievable.

Do you think it's worth the $$$ to go see a lawyer for some tips on getting these things? My severance isn't that big and I'm not some high-falutin' executive, nor do I have a bunch of money saved in the bank. I'm just seeking to get the best deal possible to benefit myself, without having to spend a lot of my severance to no real benefit. However, I'm willing to spend a little if there's a reasonable chance it could be worth it.

Last edited:

eerelations

This is achievable if your former employer agrees with it. There are no laws requiring your former employer to do anything, including offering you any severance pay at all, so an attorney would not have any leverage to get you any more.

startingover1

eerelations, I am not demanding anything or being combative. I realize my former employer will have to agree to it no matter if I go in there armed with the AG of the United States.

I am simply looking for guidance on whether speaking to a lawyer about how to achieve these things *might* (and note I use the word might not will, as I realize it it not certain) be worth spending the money. They can sometimes give tips on wording and tactics, stuff like that. I'm not talking about taking a lawyer with me. That's overkill.

Last edited:

eerelations

When oh when did I ever say anything about you being demanding or combative? Talk about overkill, your reaction to my factual response is really OTT. Wow.

That said, there's not much an attorney can do for you. Attorneys are there to advise you on the legalities of your issues. There are no legalities around getting more severance pay, ergo, an attorney cannot do much (if anything) for you.

Just Blue

When oh when did I ever say anything about you being demanding or combative? Talk about overkill, your reaction to my factual response is really OTT. Wow.

That said, there's not much an attorney can do for you. Attorneys are there to advise you on the legalities of your issues. There are no legalities around getting more severance pay, ergo, an attorney cannot do much (if anything) for you.
I read the thread 2x ...And you never implied "demands or combativeness".

Chyvan

file unemployment if I need it after my severance.
File the claim, don't wait until you've burned through your severance to think, "maybe I need that UI now." It can take a month or more to get a claim started with a discharge, and yours isn't sounding clean. It won't be your agreement that is your problem, but your employer trying to make a case for misconduct if they're so inclined. If you have proof (think emails and texts) that you were blameless, print them before you walk out that door. You might need them.

They can sometimes give tips on wording and tactics, stuff like that.
This isn't really a case where you can keep what you have and try to get more. The employer is free to just say, "we've changed our mind, and now you're getting nothing." Too risky for me.

commentator

They are most CERTAINLY giving this person a clean claim here. Whether they had a good reason to let this OP go or not, as long as they say the reason for separation is "downsizing," in other words, in unemployment jargon, lack of work that is what it is. It is a simple lack of work claim which they are not protesting and it will not have to be adjudicated. It may be downsizing for this person only, but as long as they do not say it is a discharge for cause, which they are not saying, it is a clean (simple) claim and will not need to be adjudicated, it will just be verified with the employer that this person was let go due to downsizing.

Quote: Do you think it's worth the $$$ to go see a lawyer for some tips on getting these things? My severance isn't that big and I'm not some high-falutin' executive, nor do I have a bunch of money saved in the bank. I'm just seeking to get the best deal possible to benefit myself, without having to spend a lot of my severance to no real benefit. However, I'm willing to spend a little if there's a reasonable chance it could be worth it.

NO. The most you can receive in unemployment benefits in Florida is $275 a week for 26 weeks. You have something saying you are let go due to downsizing. You file the claim immediately, tell them exactly what severance agreement you have made with your employer. They will verify this information with the employer, and I do not see ANY need for you to do anything else except make the weekly certifications for benefits as instructed, register for work and complete any required worksearches as instructed, and be looking for other jobs.

Contrary to what some would have you believe, there is not a lot of hidden knowledge or special trickery related to unemployment benefits. Most attorneys do not know a whole lot about unemployment law, though they can read the statutes, as anyone could do, if there was a need to do that. In your case, there won't be. But allowing employees to sign up for unemployment benefits are a legal requirement, like paying the minimum wage, and there are supposed to be posters in every work place that tell you that you may, if separated from your job, always file for benefits. If your employer tries to get you to say you will not sign up, or sign some sort of agreement not to get benefits, they are doing something that is illegal for them to do.

Your separation letter is not saying that. Standard boilerplate language, as you've been told. The employer is not "free to say you don't get it" once the unemployment claim has been approved. It is a bit absurd to think the employer would waste their time in this manner, having first given you a "let go due to downsizing" separation. If all the employer had to do was change their mind, inform the claims office of their decision and you were out, NO ONE would be approved, because your drawing costs the employer money.

The unemployment program is designed to be user friendly in most cases and states, (and even in Florida an ordinary person should be able to fill out their own paperwork) and in your situation, with a clean claim, which you have if you don't put down or tell them something funky when you are signing up. When you apply for benefits, which you should do right away, give them the exact reason why you are no longer working at your job that you were told by your employer in the separation paperwork.

If there is no better clear choice, saying that you were let go due to downsizing (when this is what your employer told you or has put on your severance letter) is the same thing as lack of work. You were not terminated for cause though you and your employer may have had differences and you may have been the highest paid and most vocal person on the job. That's all over. They've elected to let you go without cause. Due, they say to lack of work for you in their business, due to their decision to downsize the number of employees. They know you will be approved if they give a reason like this. As you cannot contest your termination, they will not contest your unemployment benefits. And being let go due to downsizing is a very common reason to be terminated, and it looks just fine on your future references.

Unemployment insurance has nothing to do with your income or your poverty level or how badly you need the work. It is not our taxpayer dollars being paid to you, it is paid in by the employers in case they let employees go through no fault of their own, and you need to sign up immediately, not wait until you've been off work for any period of time, because even with a clean claim, under the best of circumstances, it will take about three to four weeks to get the claim coming in.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">