• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeschooling, Custody and Parenting Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wookumus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR
I am the primary caregiver and currently homeschooling our oldest, agreed to by spouse. I am heading towards a divorce and wonder how this might impact custody, parenting time, etc. From what I understand, if I have legal custody, I can continue homeschooling? Also, do homeschool "hours" count as school time just as if they were going to a regular school, and not considered parenting time? Any thoughts on these matters and anything to do with divorce and homeschooling would be greatly appreciated!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR
I am the primary caregiver and currently homeschooling our oldest, agreed to by spouse. I am heading towards a divorce and wonder how this might impact custody, parenting time, etc. From what I understand, if I have legal custody, I can continue homeschooling? Also, do homeschool "hours" count as school time just as if they were going to a regular school, and not considered parenting time? Any thoughts on these matters and anything to do with divorce and homeschooling would be greatly appreciated!
Homeschool hours count as school time and not parenting time? Does your spouse agree with homeschooling still?

wookumus

Not sure, haven't filed for divorce yet. I assume that by agreeing to let me do so now that it might be hard for him to force a change to something that is working? Should I be able to continue homeschooling if I gain sole legal custody?

justalayman

Maybe, maybe not. As you said, given he is agreeable now it becomes difficult to argue against it after a divorce, unless of course being divorced means you get a job or two so you can support your household and it presents issues due to conflicts it could create.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Maybe, maybe not. As you said, given he is agreeable now it becomes difficult to argue against it after a divorce, unless of course being divorced means you get a job or two so you can support your household and it presents issues due to conflicts it could create.
She already is the primary wage earner of the household. https://forum.freeadvice.com/alimony-spousal-support-35/transitional-spousal-support-625064.html#post3413209

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">