• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former employer failing to pay severance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

username33

I worked for a contract job and got laid off in January. It was in my contract to receive 3 months severance pay. The CEO decided to divide those payments over a 6 month period, breaking the contract. Now after 4 months has decided to stop paying us (multiple employees) and ignore our efforts to contact him. He owes us each about $4000. How do I get him to A) pay us what he owes or B) take him to court for breaking the contract, whichever option is better. The business is based in Las Vegas, NV and I lived in San Diego, CA while working under the contract. Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I worked for a contract job and got laid off in January. It was in my contract to receive 3 months severance pay. The CEO decided to divide those payments over a 6 month period, breaking the contract. Now after 4 months has decided to stop paying us (multiple employees) and ignore our efforts to contact him. He owes us each about $4000. How do I get him to A) pay us what he owes or B) take him to court for breaking the contract, whichever option is better. The business is based in Las Vegas, NV and I lived in San Diego, CA while working under the contract. Thank you!
If you were correctly classified as an independent contractor, then this is not an employment law issue. Sue the bad guy in small claims court (in NV). http://www.lasvegasjusticecourt.us/divisions/small_claims/

justalayman

I don't think it's a labor law issue even if he was an employee. Contracts beyond what the law requires (minimum wage and all that) generally must be decided in a civil court. They fall under contract law generally.

I'm curious; does your contract specific when the money must be paid after termination?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">