• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light violation, more interesting then it sounds...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

isn't the officers ticket and testimony record of passage through the intersection?
I have no idea what you are talking about. The officer's TESTIMONY is enough to convict. I was pointing out that there isn't any camera evidence you're likely to be able to obtain if the camera didn't also fire. However, as you've been told multiple times, the failure of the camera to detect the violation doesn't excuplate you.

FlyingRon

sorry i don't know the brand of camera, all 4 cameras are seperate from the light itself. they look kind of like security cams..
They almost certainly not redlight cameras. Most red light cameras look like boxes on a pole set back from the intersection a bit (pointed towards the intersection). Are you sure they're even traffic cameras? Sounds like they may be traffic sensors or opticons (devices triggered by emergency vehicles to change the light). These are mounted on the traffic light support between the lighting heads.

quincy

ejon

Here is a link with information for you to read: http://www.drivinglaws.org/resources/traffic-tickets/non-moving-violations/running-red-lights-and-st

I am not sure that New Jersey's "red light automated enforcement" is even in effect any more, is it? There were problems with the red-light tickets and the state wound up paying a large settlement to those ticketed under the program. FlyingRon, in other words, could be correct that the cameras you saw are not enforcement cameras.
Ah now we are getting somewhere. yes the red light camera ticketing is still in effect. nj gives just a fine with no points.. they assume no one is going to fight.. why is it a problem? bc you cannot face your accuser being the camera itself you are unable to cross examine. but i am attempting to use it as a witness not an accuser..

ejon

Here is a link with information for you to read: http://www.drivinglaws.org/resources/traffic-tickets/non-moving-violations/running-red-lights-and-st

I am not sure that New Jersey's "red light automated enforcement" is even in effect any more, is it? There were problems with the red-light tickets and the state wound up paying a large settlement to those ticketed under the program. FlyingRon, in other words, could be correct that the cameras you saw are not enforcement cameras.
btw your link is correct in many ways, yellow light means nothing. the didn't stop at the line defense is along the lines where i am going bc once you pass that line with the entirety of your car then you are forced to continue. My car was at the otherside of the street under the light when the light turned. now what i have to do is prove that. *the camera if it was on* would give reason to doubt the cop..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
btw your link is correct in many ways, yellow light means nothing. the didn't stop at the line defense is along the lines where i am going bc once you pass that line with the entirety of your car then you are forced to continue. My car was at the otherside of the street under the light when the light turned. now what i have to do is prove that. *the camera if it was on* would give reason to doubt the cop..
You just don't get it. What you have to show is that the officer is wrong in a way that overcomes his evidence that he is right. His testimony (evidence) will be given more weight than yours. Your beliefs remind me of the ending of the courtroom scene in A Few Good Men. Just as the airmen would have testified that they had no recollection of the events in question (thus proving nothing), your non-existent camera evidence proves nothing.

ejon

You just don't get it. What you have to show is that the officer is wrong in a way that overcomes his evidence that he is right. His testimony (evidence) will be given more weight than yours. Your beliefs remind me of the ending of the courtroom scene in A Few Good Men. Just as the airmen would have testified that they had no recollection of the events in question (thus proving nothing), your non-existent camera evidence proves nothing.
i get it very well actually which is why i am pushing for the camera to decide. if the camera was working properly then it is evidence. it can actually overcome the officer depending on his view and how that judge feels about the cameras accuracy (which was designed by engineers). given that the camera doesn't need a memory but has one makes your statement seem like you haven't dealt with the technicalities of the law but watched a lot of movies on it..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
i get it very well actually which is why i am pushing for the camera to decide. if the camera was working properly then it is evidence. it can actually overcome the officer depending on his view and how that judge feels about the cameras accuracy (which was designed by engineers). given that the camera doesn't need a memory but has one makes your statement seem like you haven't dealt with the technicalities of the law but watched a lot of movies on it..
Best of luck to you.

ETA: I edited my post because my prior statement could have been misconstrued.

Last edited:

quincy

I cannot remember when you said you were ticketed (if you did). Following is a link to the Department of Transportation's Traffic Camera Video Log Request page. A copy of the traffic video can be obtained within 7 days of the incident that led to the ticket.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/videolog/

Please note from the information provided through the link the bolded portion that says: "These cameras should not be confused with traffic signal sensors located on traffic lights, which control signal timing." This is what FlyingRon was mentioning and I suspect the reason you did not get a red-light ticket is that there was no red-light enforcement camera installed.

It is likely you will need to argue against the police officer who issued the ticket and this is likely to be a hard argument for you to win.

Good luck.

FlyingRon

It's a common mistake. As a matter of fact, every image that accompanies articles on NJ getting rid of traffic cans shows the traffic sensor cams or in one case an opticon "capture light" (a plain white light bulb, not even a camera).

ejon

I cannot remember when you said you were ticketed (if you did). Following is a link to the Department of Transportation's Traffic Camera Video Log Request page. A copy of the traffic video can be obtained within 7 days of the incident that led to the ticket.

Please note from the information provided through the link the bolded portion that says: "These cameras should not be confused with traffic signal sensors located on traffic lights, which control signal timing." This is what FlyingRon was mentioning and I suspect the reason you did not get a red-light ticket is that there was no red-light enforcement camera installed.

It is likely you will need to argue against the police officer who issued the ticket and this is likely to be a hard argument for you to win.

Good luck.
actually very helpful! I never said it would be easy and I am pretty positive that they were cams even the prosecuter all but admitted it.. apparently the guy at 7-11 down the street said he got a ticket from it in the past..

ejon

It's a common mistake. As a matter of fact, every image that accompanies articles on NJ getting rid of traffic cans shows the traffic sensor cams or in one case an opticon "capture light" (a plain white light bulb, not even a camera).
not saying it's not possible but highly unlikely..

ejon

Good luck.
Just wanted to thank you quincy and flyingron (plus anyone else that was helpful) in giving me ideas to stearing me in the right direction especially through all of the mess flying back and forth..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">