• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor putting up a fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbella

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My next door neighbor is going to be putting in a 6' wood fence down the property line (on his property). The property line is about 2 1/2 feet from my driveway. My driveway is very long and I clean it by hand. I have to push the snow to that side of the property. The other side of my driveway is a tall retaining wall and I'm just unable to lift the snow that high.

I read on another posting that you could sue your neighbor for damages to your fence because of their snow but the neighbor was intentionally damaging the neighbor's fence.

I won't be intentionally piling snow up against his fence but in a heavy snow-fall there just isn't anywhere else for it to go. The neighbor was here last winter so is aware that I put my snow there.

Could someone please tell me my legal rights for using my property? I don't want to be sued for a fence replacement.

Thank you.

justalayman

If what you do damages the fence you can be held liable for those damages. I guess my question is; how would you be damaging his fence?

adjusterjack

I won't be intentionally piling snow up against his fence
Yes, you will.

The damage will be unintentional but you'll be liable for any damage you cause regardless of your reasons or motives.

I was worried that the snow would rot the fence faster than normal.
Then I suggest you spray your side of the fence with some sort of clear protectant that will waterproof your side where you pile the snow.

It'll be a lot cheaper to do that than to pay for replacing a water damaged fence.

jbella

Yes, you will.

The damage will be unintentional but you'll be liable for any damage you cause regardless of your reasons or motives.

Then I suggest you spray your side of the fence with some sort of clear protectant that will waterproof your side where you pile the snow.

It'll be a lot cheaper to do that than to pay for replacing a water damaged fence.

Thank you. I will talk to the neighbor about my concern and see if something can be worked out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">