• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally moving out with parental permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jamestlex

Name is state: Tennessee

I am 17 years old, and I would like to get my parent's permission to move out without being emancipated. I will be living with other people who are over the age of 18 and I can support my basic living needs. Can I legally move out with my parent's permission or is it abandonment?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Name is state: Tennessee

I am 17 years old, and I would like to get my parent's permission to move out without being emancipated. I will be living with other people who are over the age of 18 and I can support my basic living needs. Can I legally move out with my parent's permission or is it abandonment?
You cannot leave without your parent's/parents' permission. Additionally, based on what you've posted here, I don't think you will qualify for emancipation, particularly if your parents oppose it.

Just wait, it's only a short time before you're 18.

Jamestlex

You cannot leave without your parent's/parents' permission. Additionally, based on what you've posted here, I don't think you will qualify for emancipation, particularly if your parents oppose it.

Just wait, it's only a short time before you're 18.

So with my parent's permission I can move out without being emancipated? I just turned 17, but why I want to move out is because she always pushes my buttons, she always argues with me, claims that I assaulted her and two others in the family. She always tells me that I'm going to end up in jail or a morgue, and that I will never be successful in life. I just think it would just be better for my well being if I get out of the household, to a better living environment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you have your parents permission to move out, then yes, you can move out. It is not necessary to be emancipated beforehand. In fact, in your state, it would be difficult to be emancipated if you had not already moved out.

However, until you are 18, you still need permission to move out. 17 is not 18 lite, as a former poster used to say.

Jamestlex

If you have your parents permission to move out, then yes, you can move out. It is not necessary to be emancipated beforehand. In fact, in your state, it would be difficult to be emancipated if you had not already moved out.

However, until you are 18, you still need permission to move out. 17 is not 18 lite, as a former poster used to say.
Thank you so much

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">