• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-girlfriend (ME) taking children out of the country for vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MCDATX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this.... I'm taking my son and the son of my ex-bf (older brother to my son) out of the country for vacation next month. Dad to both sons is incarcerated awaiting trial but he and the mother of the boy I'm taking helped me to get passports for the kids. Mom and I would like to know if I will need more than a notarized letter stating that I have her permission to take him out of the country and travel with him (9 days total).
Dad had sole legal custody while we were together and when he was arrested, mom took older brother to live with her. I don't know the details of whether or not she got custody changed back but he has been living with her. Will I need to get something from Dad while he is in jail as well? The three of us are in agreement to do whatever we need to ensure that I run into zero problems coming and going since I'm not a legal anything to the older boy. Thank you in advance for any help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this.... I'm taking my son and the son of my ex-bf (older brother to my son) out of the country for vacation next month. Dad to both sons is incarcerated awaiting trial but he and the mother of the boy I'm taking helped me to get passports for the kids. Mom and I would like to know if I will need more than a notarized letter stating that I have her permission to take him out of the country and travel with him (9 days total).
Dad had sole legal custody while we were together and when he was arrested, mom took older brother to live with her. I don't know the details of whether or not she got custody changed back but he has been living with her. Will I need to get something from Dad while he is in jail as well? The three of us are in agreement to do whatever we need to ensure that I run into zero problems coming and going since I'm not a legal anything to the older boy. Thank you in advance for any help.
You are going to need to check with the country you are traveling to.

MCDATX

Thanks Zigner. I called the Japanese Consulate here in Texas and the rep told me that while she wasn't sure it would be a good idea to also get a letter from Dad. So I will get to work on that..Appreciate your help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks Zigner. I called the Japanese Consulate here in Texas and the rep told me that while she wasn't sure it would be a good idea to also get a letter from Dad. So I will get to work on that..Appreciate your help.
Good. I would definitely advise you get permission from dad as well to travel out of the country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">