• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When he left, he left a letter outlining support... then he blew it off.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frustrated Deb

I am in Florida. Got married in April 2017, and it turns out my husband didn't want to be married. Basically, he had one foot out of the door from the beginning. But, he moved in with me, started a health insurance business (which I understand under Florida law is marital property and half mine). He barely contributed to household expenses while building this business, and started hiding money. As soon as he was financially able, he moved out with no notice, while the kids and I were at a football game. This was 6 1/2 months into the marriage.

He left a letter that outlined financial support, as well as payment for my health insurance and a few other expenses. My van had been transferred to his name, and he outlined that it would be transfered back to me in Jan.

For 2 months, he made payments before they stopped. He let my health insurance expire within a month, and he has refused to give me ownership of my vehicle (the tags are now expired and in his name).

I have texted, called and emailed him about this. The long and the short of it is that he has stated that he is not paying another penny, and refuses to do anything about the van or the health insurance. He said that he only offered it "put of the kindness of his heart", and has no obligation to us.

We are still married, no one has filed for divorce, and he has really put our family in a lurch. He refuses any contact.

My question is whether this signed and dated letter is enforceable, and if so, whether I should file it in family court or small claims as a breach of contract.

A bit of history - I am his fifth wife. He has left every single one of his wives, usually off with another woman, and though he has 4 children he only knows one of them. He supports two by court order, but is very behind. He lost parental rights to another. Just want you to get a picture of the scoundrel that I am dealing with. His marriage vows mean nothing more to him than a means to an end. In my case, he used me to get on his feet financially and took any financial success with him.

My hope is that he gets the consequences that he deserves. My goal is to collect the amount that he promised as a sort of separation agreement, and then pursue half of the business in the divorce. I simply can't afford to retain a divorce attorney yet.

Thoughts?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I am in Florida. Got married in April 2017, and it turns out my husband didn't want to be married. Basically, he had one foot out of the door from the beginning. But, he moved in with me, started a health insurance business (which I understand under Florida law is marital property and half mine). He barely contributed to household expenses while building this business, and started hiding money. As soon as he was financially able, he moved out with no notice, while the kids and I were at a football game. This was 6 1/2 months into the marriage.

He left a letter that outlined financial support, as well as payment for my health insurance and a few other expenses. My van had been transferred to his name, and he outlined that it would be transfered back to me in Jan.

For 2 months, he made payments before they stopped. He let my health insurance expire within a month, and he has refused to give me ownership of my vehicle (the tags are now expired and in his name).

I have texted, called and emailed him about this. The long and the short of it is that he has stated that he is not paying another penny, and refuses to do anything about the van or the health insurance. He said that he only offered it "put of the kindness of his heart", and has no obligation to us.

We are still married, no one has filed for divorce, and he has really put our family in a lurch. He refuses any contact.

My question is whether this signed and dated letter is enforceable, and if so, whether I should file it in family court or small claims as a breach of contract.

A bit of history - I am his fifth wife. He has left every single one of his wives, usually off with another woman, and though he has 4 children he only knows one of them. He supports two by court order, but is very behind. He lost parental rights to another. Just want you to get a picture of the scoundrel that I am dealing with. His marriage vows mean nothing more to him than a means to an end. In my case, he used me to get on his feet financially and took any financial success with him.

My hope is that he gets the consequences that he deserves. My goal is to collect the amount that he promised as a sort of separation agreement, and then pursue half of the business in the divorce. I simply can't afford to retain a divorce attorney yet.

Thoughts?

I strongly doubt that what he wrote actually meets the requirements of an enforceable contract. But your bigger problem may be that you apparently got married ... two months from now. Neat trick, that. Regardless, you're welcome to contact a local attorney who will read over the agreement and may guide you further.

Also, be prepared for the likelihood that you'll also get exactly what you deserve. :cool: You may not like it, but that's what happens when you marry a cad.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I will presume that the 2017 was a typo for 2016. But, I must wonder why you have not filed for divorce yourself... Do not expect any spousal support for such a short marriage. Any income from the time you married is partially yours. As is any debt.

And, given that the kids are likely yours, how did you support them before marrying this dude? They are not now, nor were they ever, his responsibility. (if one is his - you told us about three of his four, so I suppose it's possible that one is joint, then he would be liable for child support. And he would also get parenting time.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

What "contract"? The letter he left you is not enforceable.

Thoughts?
Yet, you felt he was great marriage material.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">