• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife commited perjury on Marriage License-California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pilotmike

California-

Been married 6 years, recently separated.

When researching my Wife online, I discovered she was previously married and divorced. She completed OUR marriage certificate without disclosing that marriage and divorce.

I have copies of that Marriage Cert, and a copy of the Dissolution of Marriage from her previous marriage. i just discovered all of this 2 days ago, with court records.

I most definitely would not have married based on this info, due to my personal beliefs. I do have an appointment with an Attorney in a couple weeks, just wondering what a court might rule on this situation.

I have seen the posts about California Law and invalid marriages. I am wondering if a judge would rule this as an invalid marriage.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Mike

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California-

Been married 6 years, recently separated.

When researching my Wife online, I discovered she was previously married and divorced. She completed OUR marriage certificate without disclosing that marriage and divorce.

I have copies of that Marriage Cert, and a copy of the Dissolution of Marriage from her previous marriage. i just discovered all of this 2 days ago, with court records.

I most definitely would not have married based on this info, due to my personal beliefs. I do have an appointment with an Attorney in a couple weeks, just wondering what a court might rule on this situation.

I have seen the posts about California Law and invalid marriages. I am wondering if a judge would rule this as an invalid marriage.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Mike
No, your marriage is perfectly valid...continue with your divorce and be done with it.

pilotmike

She would not want this info known by family and friends, so I have to figure out how to use this information to my advantage.
Ethically, I am not sure what I will do with this. Thanks for your advice.

FlyingRon

She would not want this info known by family and friends, so I have to figure out how to use this information to my advantage.
What you are talking about is called extortion, and it is a crime. I would advise you not to make those threats.
Let your divorce lawyer handle it. The lies on the marriage license application isn't grounds for an annulment (and it's really not even grounds in itself for divorce).

Just Blue

Wow.. Seem you have very...flexible "ethics".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">