• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separated 5 years, divorce still open, contested, what's next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nickif

California - My boyfriend filed for divorce almost 5 years ago. No children. She contested the divorce because she wants 1/2 of his retirement for his 1st 3 years of state service, but he paid off $120K in credit card debt that she had accumulated in his name. Regardless, the papers were filed in July of 2012. After she was served and she responded, nothing else was filed. Neither one still lives in the county where the original paperwork was filed. What do we do next?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California - My boyfriend filed for divorce almost 5 years ago. No children. She contested the divorce because she wants 1/2 of his retirement for his 1st 3 years of state service, but he paid off $120K in credit card debt that she had accumulated in his name. Regardless, the papers were filed in July of 2012. After she was served and she responded, nothing else was filed. Neither one still lives in the county where the original paperwork was filed. What do we do next?
WE do nothing. Your boyfriend can make things move forward if he so wishes. He should likely consult with an attorney.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
After 5 years of nothingness, one might wonder if these two actually don't want to get divorced after all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">