• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What (If Anything) Is she Entitled To?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bjs2025

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello

My girlfriend of 3.5 years and I broke up. We live in my house that I am the sole owner of and am the only one on the mortgage. Every year we did new improvements to the home and in January we added new doors on front and back of the house. We split the total of around $2400. We are NOT married but she decided to cheat on my while living here (probably a needless detail) and in the process of looking for a new place to live is demanding I pay her half of what she paid for the doors or she will "Take them off the hinges."

I need to know: Is she entitled to this money? What is the first thing I should do to make sure she no longer legally lives here? File an eviction notice? We've bought many things over the last three years and improved the house together but my name is the sole name on all of these purchases. I just feel that if she made the decision to buy these things at the time and then made the decision to leave she shouldn't be entitled to that especially since we are not married.

Also I have financially assisted her and her son over the last 3.5 years. I am sure there are other roads I can go down to threaten her back because I don't believe she can legally do this. I live in Pennsylvania. Can someone please help me out? Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hello

My girlfriend of 3.5 years and I broke up. We live in my house that I am the sole owner of and am the only one on the mortgage. Every year we did new improvements to the home and in January we added new doors on front and back of the house. We split the total of around $2400. We are NOT married but she decided to cheat on my while living here (probably a needless detail) and in the process of looking for a new place to live is demanding I pay her half of what she paid for the doors or she will "Take them off the hinges."

I need to know: Is she entitled to this money? What is the first thing I should do to make sure she no longer legally lives here? File an eviction notice? We've bought many things over the last three years and improved the house together but my name is the sole name on all of these purchases. I just feel that if she made the decision to buy these things at the time and then made the decision to leave she shouldn't be entitled to that especially since we are not married.

Also I have financially assisted her and her son over the last 3.5 years. I am sure there are other roads I can go down to threaten her back because I don't believe she can legally do this. I live in Pennsylvania. Can someone please help me out? Thank you
Evict her. Beyond that, tell her to pound sand and let her sue you. If she tries to damage your property, call the police.

LdiJ

Hello

Google "unjust enrichment".

LdiJ

Google "rent"
Its still something that he should be aware of. Just because you and I might consider it to be rent doesn't guarantee that a judge will look at it that way. On top of that, the value of the improvements placed in the home, plus other things would be taken into consideration. Per the OP they bought many things together (that apparently he intends to keep) and did a lot of home improvements together. The OP had best be sure that the value of those things does not exceed fair market rent.

OP, you would have to give her legal notice to move (which is likely 30-60 days notice) and then go through the formal process of eviction through the courts if she does not move out at the end of the notice. You should know that she will likely need first and last months rent plus a security deposit in order to move in somewhere else. If she hadn't just helped you put new, expensive doors on your house she might have had that money available to move out more quickly.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't think that, at this point, the OP is legally required to give the ex the half of the money that was paid for the doors. HOWEVER, I would agree with what you has been implied; it's likely much easier to just pay the $1,200 and get her out of the house.

Bjs2025

Google "unjust enrichment".
So I read a bit about this. It seems that it isn't only the acute issue that is being dealt with but also the overall predicament and if the other person has been impoverished by this. She received a tax return of $6500 in February that I am positive she has most of still. She also was talking on the phone with a friend of hers after I told her she can sue me because I am not giving her that money and said "Well who cares, I have the money anyway".

I just think it's evident that this is a cash grab from her and her low level friends attempting to take me down because I have some money. I already told her that since she is barely living here I'm not requiring her to continue paying me what she did on a monthly basis to split our bills and gave her $100 to keep a cat of ours that I didn't have to do.

LdiJ

So I read a bit about this. It seems that it isn't only the acute issue that is being dealt with but also the overall predicament and if the other person has been impoverished by this. She received a tax return of $6500 in February that I am positive she has most of still. She also was talking on the phone with a friend of hers after I told her she can sue me because I am not giving her that money and said "Well who cares, I have the money anyway".

I just think it's evident that this is a cash grab from her and her low level friends attempting to take me down because I have some money. I already told her that since she is barely living here I'm not requiring her to continue paying me what she did on a monthly basis to split our bills and gave her $100 to keep a cat of ours that I didn't have to do.
So, she was paying you on a monthly basis AND spending money on improvements to your home? Unjust enrichment does not require the other party to be totally without money as a result of it.

LdiJ

Listen, Bjs please.

Don't be conned into running off looking for laws that have not place here. Just take note that LdiJ doesn't know anymore about unjust enrichment than you do nor any other aspect of American Jurisprudence. What this wannabe neglects to tell people in here is that his legal credentials add up to zero. The only law he knows is the little he has picked up from attorneys writing on this site. Which would be comparable to a hospital janitor purporting to be qualified to field questions on a medical Q&A site from sweeping the hallways and eves dropping.

"Unjust enrichment", hog wash! There is no way this woman can sustain any claim that you were unfairly enriched by her small contributions to the home improvements. If so, by the same token she would have to answer to you for her board and room, utilities, etc., etc., and every other benefit bestowed upon her.
There he goes again...

OP, I would encourage you to get a consult with a local real estate attorney about giving notice to a tenant and possibly another attorney about the potential for unjust enrichment. You appear to have stated that she made monthly payments to you as well as helping you with home improvements. That does change the nature of things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">