• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police entered without permission from me but from my wife outside

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elijahmaggard

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My question involves police conduct in the State of: Texas

My wife and I got into an argument Friday night. She took off her wedding rings and left for two hours. When she returned she wouldn't tell me where she had been. She went to make a drink at our bar area, and when I kept asking she started yelling and picked up a decanter that was a gift ($500 value) looked me in the eye and smashed it. I told her she needed to leave. She got her stuff that she needed for a wedding that we were both supposed to attend and then told me that she was calling the cops and was going to tell them I hit her. (Never have, never will) About an hour later she shows up with her parents, and the police. All of the lights were off and I didnt answer, They left. They came back the next morning and I refused entry She said she needed items for her wedding, I asked her to give me a list and I would get them, The police asked why I wouldnt allow entry and I told her that she got abusive last night and threatened to call the cops and say I hit her. They said that if I didnt open the door it was going to get bad. I declined. Her and her parents kept trying to get into the house to the point that I had to block the door. I repeatedly said I didnt feel safe with her coming in the home especially not knowing what she had told the police. The back door was blocked with our credenza, that we use as a bar, It weighs about 200 pounds or so. The police finally broke in, and pushed the credenza over. After they had a clear path they pushed it more knocking off about $500 worth of items, I was recording this the whole time. They told me to come here, and I declined and again told them I hadnt done anything wrong, They tried to make me walk bare footed over the glass until I pointed it out, at first he told me I should have thought about that before. He grabbed the back of my hoodie, twisted it around my neck and forced be over the back of the couch and then took me outside to hear my story. My wife, gave them permission to enter but is this kind of force legal. They broke items once they were already inside. Its when he saw me recording that he stopped and made sure when he grabbed me it was out of camera view. Just would like some advice on this if anyone has any. Was everything 100% legal?

adjusterjack

Yes. 100% legal.

You brought it all on yourself.

You were in no danger from your wife while the police were there. Your wife had as much right to be in the house as you did.

All you had to do was open the door and talk to them. Or open the door and invoke your right to an attorney and then kept your mouth shut no matter what happened.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My question involves police conduct in the State of: Texas

My wife and I got into an argument Friday night. She took off her wedding rings and left for two hours. When she returned she wouldn't tell me where she had been. She went to make a drink at our bar area, and when I kept asking she started yelling and picked up a decanter that was a gift ($500 value) looked me in the eye and smashed it. I told her she needed to leave. She got her stuff that she needed for a wedding that we were both supposed to attend and then told me that she was calling the cops and was going to tell them I hit her. (Never have, never will) About an hour later she shows up with her parents, and the police. All of the lights were off and I didnt answer, They left. They came back the next morning and I refused entry She said she needed items for her wedding, I asked her to give me a list and I would get them, The police asked why I wouldnt allow entry and I told her that she got abusive last night and threatened to call the cops and say I hit her. They said that if I didnt open the door it was going to get bad. I declined. Her and her parents kept trying to get into the house to the point that I had to block the door. I repeatedly said I didnt feel safe with her coming in the home especially not knowing what she had told the police. The back door was blocked with our credenza, that we use as a bar, It weighs about 200 pounds or so. The police finally broke in, and pushed the credenza over. After they had a clear path they pushed it more knocking off about $500 worth of items, I was recording this the whole time. They told me to come here, and I declined and again told them I hadnt done anything wrong, They tried to make me walk bare footed over the glass until I pointed it out, at first he told me I should have thought about that before. He grabbed the back of my hoodie, twisted it around my neck and forced be over the back of the couch and then took me outside to hear my story. My wife, gave them permission to enter but is this kind of force legal. They broke items once they were already inside. Its when he saw me recording that he stopped and made sure when he grabbed me it was out of camera view. Just would like some advice on this if anyone has any. Was everything 100% legal?
You prohibited your wife entry to the marital residence. The police did nothing wrong. YOU on the other hand acted like a jerk and illegally prohibited your wife from entering.

elijahmaggard

You prohibited your wife entry to the marital residence. The police did nothing wrong. YOU on the other hand acted like a jerk and illegally prohibited your wife from entering.
What if she had lied to the police and told them I did something I didnt. I wasnt trying to be a jerk, I just didnt want go go to jail for something she said she was going to tell them I did when I hadnt

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What if she had lied to the police and told them I did something I didnt. I wasnt trying to be a jerk, I just didnt want go go to jail for something she said she was going to tell them I did when I hadnt
Then you would deal with that at the appropriate time with the appropriate legal counsel.

You cannot simply refuse your wife entry into the marital home.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I guess I made a poor choice when I was scared. Thanks for the comments
elijah, this is where you make a decision. Do you want to come out ahead after all of this? If the answer is "yes" then it's time you start reading and learning about divorce and how the courts work.

Go forth and take the higher road!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">